Another use for ambient temp sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turnpike17

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought an '03 Z71 Burb for real cheap. The only use for it is hauling tailgate gear to and from campus 6 or 7 weekends out of the year. When I picked it up the temp on the rearview mirror was showing OC so I ordered a new sensor and went to replace it last night. When I pulled the grill and looked, the green wire going into the sensor had been cut (black, I'm presuming ground was fine) and a new, very small gauge wire was connected to it running through the engine compartment and through the firewall.

I looked under the dash and this wire was spliced in to a white wire heading somewhere behind the radio it looked like. Anyways, I cut this new wire and reconnected the green wire and everything was great.

My question is, what in the heck were they using the sensor for? I could start pulling electronics and panels out and follow that white wire, but so far everything seems to be working the same and I thought I would ask it here to see if anyone has a guess? Thanks guys!

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea, that's strange...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879