another shudder over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a shudder from the front, sounds and feels like from the steering column, going over bumps, especially over those wind ruts/ caterpillar tracks on dirt roads. Thanks to the other threads on this forum, I've checked for wheel bearing play, front suspension etc, and what I've discovered is it's the brake pedal. THe darn thing flaps around a little over those bumps. WHen I pull my foot under it to hold it up (towards me) while going over the bumps, no shudder sound or feel. I looked under the dash, and all I see is the pedal linked to a piston going through the firewall (and some plastic housing). No spring to replace. Any ideas as to prevent this "freeplay" in the pedal? Is there a spring somewhere to replace to hold it in place better? Thanks for a great forum.

2002 yukon, 4WD, 5.3 flex (stock everything) 115k miles.

tsb09000

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I don't have an answer but I have the same problem. When I bought the truck I had them check it out before I bought it and they fed me some bs about they would have to take the entire dash apart which would lead to even more rattles so I left it alone. Would love to find the solution though. In fact, I might even look into it today

OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably your intermediate steering shaft.

Even if it goes away by holding (pulling up on) the brake pedal with the foot on the underside of it? I've read about the steering shaft issue, and it sounds pretty darn close to this issue, but I don't see the link between that and the brake pedal. BUt then again, I'm a complete noob when it comes to suspension/steering. Is there a way to know if that steering shaft fix has been applied? (I think it was done by dealer many years ago, but can't remember). Thanks.

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's poor design from GM, I have the same annoying crap. If you look at the brake
assembly, it's just hanging with out proper support, so the damn thing tends to shake and rattles when you hit a bump. Adjustable pedals right??

cutloos

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same thing and have not spent much time trying to fix it lately. Mine is bad enough to shut off my cruise control when I hit a slight bump. I would hopefully put the diagram on here of the brake pedal, but there is supposed to be a bushing to change out that will help. Not sure which one. I had a thread opened called brake shake that I found that much out from. Also had the intermediate shaft replaced. Drives smoother but no change to that issue.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you do end up finding something would love to know what it is.

Attachments

• img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
OP
afpj

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. This forum's great...I'm glad I have a common issue, but at least it doesn't seem serious. Annoying yes. One thing out of all this, I found more Zerk fittings than I thought any one vehicle could have, and it feels much smoother in general after topping them all off, minus the brake pedal shudder over those little bumps. Next visit to dealer will ask if they got a fix.

Mac, no adjustable pedals on mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barakawins