Amp power wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting new thread because replying to old threads seem to get little to no traction

I'm trying to run the amp power wire into the vehicle (2005 Tahoe) for my son's subwoofer. It is a 4 gauge wire pushing a 300x1 kicker amp for a single 10.

Please read carefully, I only need help answering this one question...

Where did you get your power cable to go into the cab? I DO NOT WANT TO CUT A HOLE OR USE THE LARGE GROMMET AT ALL. Too damn close to the main harness for my liking

I also don't really wanna drill any new holes into the firewall. I was going to drill a new hole where a clutch master cylinder would have been "punched" by GM, but apparently they stopped punching those in 2005. We have adjustable pedals. If I look under the dash there is way too much to try and look around to find a place. So, I found a spot directly behind the driver side hood hinge. I could run it through there behind the fender and then cut it into the door grommet that houses the door speaker wire and light. Have you done this? If so, are you pleased with it.

Have you possibly run it under the truck and come up under the drivers side (kind of below and in front of driver side seat) through the floor? If so, did it work well? When I pull the carpet back I see a cable (I think its the parking brake) going through a grommet on driver side close to door sill.

I'm looking for other alternatives (preferably with pictures) other than the large grommet next to the brake master cylinder. The amp is going to be mounted under the driver side back seat (middle row).

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve made it clear that this isn’t the path you want to take. But I can tell you I’ve installed sound systems in atleast 5 or 6 of own personal vehicles. I ALWAYS go after that huge grommet near the driver side firewall and find a way to get the wire through there.. never had any issues in the past… next best step. Drill a new hole and get a proper grommet.. If you know how to use a tape measure then you’ll be fine making a new hole without hitting anything

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve made it clear that this isn’t the path you want to take. But I can tell you I’ve installed sound systems in atleast 5 or 6 of own personal vehicles. I ALWAYS go after that huge grommet near the driver side firewall and find a way to get the wire through there.. never had any issues in the past… next best step. Drill a new hole and get a proper grommet.. If you know how to use a tape measure then you’ll be fine making a new hole without hitting anything
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that grommet. I had concerns with interference, heat and I’ve seen some say it was find the wire inside since it’s a grommet on both sides. I also don’t really like how it looks

The spot under the floor I was referring to is the shift cable grommet. Wondering if that’s a good option

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was trying to avoid that grommet. I had concerns with interference, heat and I’ve seen some say it was find the wire inside since it’s a grommet on both sides. I also don’t really like how it looks

The spot under the floor I was referring to is the shift cable grommet. Wondering if that’s a good option
I’m not exactly familiar with that grommet. I don’t have my NBS Tahoe anymore.

On a side note about heat.. if your connections are up to par and sized properly. You’ll never generate enough heat to damage anything. You really shouldn’t even get warm

OP
OP
B

Blk00ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not exactly familiar with that grommet. I don’t have my NBS Tahoe anymore.

On a side note about heat.. if your connections are up to par and sized properly. You’ll never generate enough heat to damage anything. You really shouldn’t even get warm
I appreciate the advice.

My other concern with the large grommet was water. I know many have stated water doesn’t get in, but I power wash our engine bays often and of course having a hole in the main grommet worries me. I think I’m gonna check out the parking brake cable grommet like someone recommended earlier and see what I think of that. Who knows, I may end up going through the larger grommet when it’s all said and done

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice.

My other concern with the large grommet was water. I know many have stated water doesn’t get in, but I power wash our engine bays often and of course having a hole in the main grommet worries me. I think I’m gonna check out the parking brake cable grommet like someone recommended earlier and see what I think of that. Who knows, I may end up going through the larger grommet when it’s all said and done
If I ever slice the big grommet I’ll silicone it with some exterior silicone. Something to consider if you go that route