amp plus sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubZX

Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone has replaced the factory sub with an amp to the factory system? i can install anything after market just not sure what route to go to leave the stock system and add an amp and sub.. stock system soundss good to me i just want a little more thump. any help is apreciated

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I just did, but I left all of the factory Bose stuff alone. I replaced the head unit, then ran RCAs and Remote wire to a new amp, Fosgate 3-Way 6x9s and 12" Punch DVC sub. The new stuff compliments the factory system perfectly, and it was much cheaper than replacing the factory system.

OP
OP
BubZX

BubZX

Reaction score
i wanna replace the head unit down the road at some point but for now i just wanna put a sub in the factory spot and an amp to the sub just to start. im not lookin to build a big bumpin system like i had in my 20's just better sound and that looks like a good place to start. i just never wired in an amp into a factory set up (always did everything at once) and im not sure how to go about it.

Ryan Willson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's exactly what I just did, but I left all of the factory Bose stuff alone. I replaced the head unit, then ran RCAs and Remote wire to a new amp, Fosgate 3-Way 6x9s and 12" Punch DVC sub. The new stuff compliments the factory system perfectly, and it was much cheaper than replacing the factory system.

What head unit did you use?

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wanna replace the head unit down the road at some point but for now i just wanna put a sub in the factory spot and an amp to the sub just to start. im not lookin to build a big bumpin system like i had in my 20's just better sound and that looks like a good place to start. i just never wired in an amp into a factory set up (always did everything at once) and im not sure how to go about it.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you right. You want to remove the factory sub and replace it with an aftermarket sub. Then you want to power said sub with an aftermarket amp also? Is that correct?

What head unit did you use?

I chose the Kenwood KDC-MP142, because I wanted to stack a single din and a CB together, and the Kenwood had the AUX input I needed, plus it had red backlighting and it was under $100...................I regret buying it. In all fairness, it is a well performaing HU, but menus and settings are put together poorly. They over complicated the configuration big time!.....and I'm a computer systems engineer! LOL!

Here are some pics. I still need to relocate the amp and 6x9's, and clean eveything up (I know it looks hillbilly right now, I just haven't had time to finish it all.).

Bezel-White3.gif

System3.gif

System5.gif

My OnBoard Air
OnBoardAir2.gif

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that is correct

In that case, I would use a Line Output Converter (LOC) to feed the amp signal. That's all you need to do. Of course you will still have to do the install on the amp and sub, but as far as making the build work, all you need is the LOC. IMHO though, it seems (to me) like more trouble (time and money) than it's worth. If you're going to be installing an amp, you might as well use it to power something supplimental. That way you can complement what is already there and get way more bang for your buck. If you don't want loud ass bass, but you do want a fuller, richer sound, maybe think about using the amp to power some 6x9's, or maybe a nice 10" sub under the back seat? That way you will still have the benefit of retaining the factory 8".