Alignment knockouts...before and after?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drb007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drove my daughter's 99 Tahoe this morning and noticed it is really pulling hard left. I just put new tires on it, so I want to get it aligned before it eats them up. It has 105K on it, and I can't find records of it ever having been aligned. I assume I still have the factory knockouts in, and was wondering if anyone could post a picture of the stock factory knockouts and then a picture of the replacement bolts. I want to peek at it before I take it in to make sure they haven't already been replaced. I was quoted $89 in labor and $40 in parts to replace those, plus the $70 for the alignment. Just want to make sure I really need to pay them for all of that.

Further, what are your opinions on replacing all the front end bushing, tie rods, idler, pitman, ball joints, etc right away before taking it in for the alignment? It drives pretty well, except for the pull to the left. I figure she will put 100K on it, so I'm thinking it might be worth freshening it all up.

metaljunkie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The knockouts are in the frame mount and hard to see. The adjustment bolts you can look at the washer and the center hole for the bolt will be offset and not in the center.https://www.google.com/search?q=gm+...d=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=99+tahoe+camber+bolt

My 99 had the adjustment bolts, but I had to remove the knockouts.

You should check the tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm and ball joints first they are a common wear items. If they are worn out, you will not be able to get it aligned properly.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Typical pricing for the labor to remove the knockouts is around $60 per side so $89 for both is a deal. Do it.

OP
OP
D

drb007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, as expected, I have more work to do before I can get it aligned. I have one worn ball joint, pitman and idler arm are worn as well. So, I am going to redo it all. I didn't have any work done when I took it in, just the inspection. So now we will have a weekend project to do all 4 ball joints, bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, shocks, and...anything else?
Is there a benefit to replacing the control arms, especially the lower with the ball joint already pressed in?
Is Moog the only brand I should consider?
Does anyone buy parts from LMC?

Thanks for the help.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have bought parts from LMC and is a good source. Moog is the way to go. The whole arm with bushings and ball joints saves labor. Compare the ball joint price and the bushings and what your labor is worth and then make the decision. I would do the sway bar frame bushings and links with the poly bushings and do the rear sway bar at the same time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts