Air temperature change depending on outside temperature?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 22 Tahoe and up to this point, it's been warm out since I purchased it new. I typically leave the AC on about 72 degrees and it's plenty cold enough (surprisingly cold actually). Then, the first cold morning we had a week or so ago where it was like 50 degrees I noticed when I got in the vehicle that the 72 degree setting was blowing out noticeably warmer air. Is that affected by the outside temp? I'd assume that 72 is 72 regardless of what the outside temp is, but I could also see some programming feature where it warms or cools based on outside temperatures around it. Just weird that I've got the thermostat set to 72 during the hottest days of summer and now that's it's cooling down outside I've got it set to 68 to get seemingly the same temp inside.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. There is an outside air temp sensor and I'm pretty sure there is a cabin sensor as well. Being that it is colder out now, you finally see what the heat does. LOL. It's not an exact science tho as far as the auto temp control. I've seen them vary a little bit on when they actuate hot or cold depending on what their inputs are.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 22 Tahoe and up to this point, it's been warm out since I purchased it new. I typically leave the AC on about 72 degrees and it's plenty cold enough (surprisingly cold actually). Then, the first cold morning we had a week or so ago where it was like 50 degrees I noticed when I got in the vehicle that the 72 degree setting was blowing out noticeably warmer air. Is that affected by the outside temp? I'd assume that 72 is 72 regardless of what the outside temp is, but I could also see some programming feature where it warms or cools based on outside temperatures around it. Just weird that I've got the thermostat set to 72 during the hottest days of summer and now that's it's cooling down outside I've got it set to 68 to get seemingly the same temp inside.
yes, with the automatic/digital hvac the inside temperature setting will be what it strives to achieve at all times regardless of outside temperature. so if it is set for 72 and it is 55 outside it will warm, if it is 80 deg outside it will cool.
you must live in a mild climate here in cali the only time it works is in the winter and you set it for 73 or whatever it will keep you warm, in the summer if set to 60 it just can't do it too much heat outside, maybe after a nice long drive with the windows up and all closed it might happen.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. WI guy here. We get the whole thermometer range for sure. And the whole humidity range as well......yuk

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. There is an outside air temp sensor and I'm pretty sure there is a cabin sensor as well. Being that it is colder out now, you finally see what the heat does. LOL. It's not an exact science tho as far as the auto temp control. I've seen them vary a little bit on when they actuate hot or cold depending on what their inputs are.
Thanks! Just to be clear, I’m talking about this happening with the “auto” setting off and just using manual control.
yes, with the automatic/digital hvac the inside temperature setting will be what it strives to achieve at all times regardless of outside temperature. so if it is set for 72 and it is 55 outside it will warm, if it is 80 deg outside it will cool.
you must live in a mild climate here in cali the only time it works is in the winter and you set it for 73 or whatever it will keep you warm, in the summer if set to 60 it just can't do it too much heat outside, maybe after a nice long drive with the windows up and all closed it might happen.
Thank you. I’m not using the auto temp feature though but maybe it still does this regardless?
Yep. WI guy here. We get the whole thermometer range for sure. And the whole humidity range as well......yuk
Kentucky here. Went from 90 and humid to 50s in the morning and not humid. Lol

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Just to be clear, I’m talking about this happening with the “auto” setting off and just using manual control.

Thank you. I’m not using the auto temp feature though but maybe it still does this regardless?

Kentucky here. Went from 90 and humid to 50s in the morning and not humid. Lol
maybe...it's not a perfect system, the dehumidifier function may go on by it's self and outside air may come in if re-circulation is not set. the blend doors are going to sit at whatever it was set for last also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout