Air-Ride and Wheel Size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoonTruck

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why GM pushes the 22” wheels when you get air ride? I find larger wheels tend to lead to more curb rash, tire damage from potholes and create a huge limit on available tires. I should hopefully get my Yukon XL Q1 next year so I have gone ahead and bought a set of 20’s that I will wrap with better quality tires. I will then try to sell the 22’s. Also hoping that the meatier sidewall should make the ride even better.

I don’t see why suspension would interfere with wheel sizes but figured I should ask just in case. Is anyone aware of any limit or issues with wheel diameter when you have air suspension? The only thing I’m aware of that impacts wheel size compatibility are usually rotors or the wheel housing in general.

Thanks in advance for any input.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running the Sierra optional 20’s on my Denali w/ Air Ride and Blizzaks in the 275/60R20 sizefor winter. No issues, no rubbing.

Note, don’t notice much of a rude difference (aside from the enhanced snow/ice traction, and the natural slight increase in road noise of the Blizzaks)

Attachments

• 9314A5CB-A787-4499-91BE-B409CE6C0998.jpeg
    9314A5CB-A787-4499-91BE-B409CE6C0998.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 15
  • D3B863D1-1CE3-4426-9B86-5FF21990317D.jpeg
    D3B863D1-1CE3-4426-9B86-5FF21990317D.jpeg
    409.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
MoonTruck

MoonTruck

Reaction score
That’s great to hear, thanks for the replies.

That’s part of my plan, I have set I’m going to put blizzaks on and another set I will wrap with the Vredestein Pinza AT, has good reviews on TireRack so I’m going to give them a try.

I read a few posts of people praising the Michelin Defenders and the KO’s as well. However it doesn’t seem like their wet traction is as good as the Pinza’s.

Toasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s great to hear, thanks for the replies.

That’s part of my plan, I have set I’m going to put blizzaks on and another set I will wrap with the Vredestein Pinza AT, has good reviews on TireRack so I’m going to give them a try.

I read a few posts of people praising the Michelin Defenders and the KO’s as well. However it doesn’t seem like their wet traction is as good as the Pinza’s.
despite what fanboys will say, BFG AT KO's aren't great in wet weather compared to the competition

OP
OP
MoonTruck

MoonTruck

Reaction score
Good to know.

After doing a little more digging I might do the Defenders for spring/summer/fall and the blizzaks for winter. I’m slightly concerned with the little extra road noise ATs might have. I’ll wait for the Costco sales they do, currently they have it for Bridgestone, $150 off 4. I know they run it for Michelin as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs