Air Bag recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update to my brothers 2009 Tahoe dealer problem

Dealer NEVER completed the airbag recall as promised !!! Isn't that illegal ?? My brother paid the dealer diagnostic fee and ended up selling his Tahoe cause he didn't want to mess with finding a hybrid 6.0 donor engine those are NOT cheap or easy to find lol

He's getting a Lexus GX350 Suv from his buddy soon lol

Dave
This recall has been pending for years so I'm not sure how long GM has to complete all of them. They're supposedly doing them as parts become available. What diagnostic fee are you referring to? There's no diagnostics to be done on the airbag recall- there hasn't been a single failure of the ones in GM trucks yet.

JimHanus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got another letter from GM stating the passenger front airbag parts are in stock. Called my local Michigan dealer and he did have whatever was needed. Replaced under warranty an off I go!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got another letter from GM stating the passenger front airbag parts are in stock. Called my local Michigan dealer and he did have whatever was needed. Replaced under warranty an off I go!
It’s not warranty, it’s a recall. Mine was about 10 years out of warranty.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to recall my dang cracked dash!
It’s never going to happen. People tried though- first there was a petition for a recall but it was deemed to not be safety related which is required for recall status. Then there was (or still is) a class action lawsuit that never went anywhere. There was some help in the form of partial payment from GM Customer Service where some were getting theirs replaced for around $200-300 for awhile but not anymore. Now it’s about $650 for the dash itself plus another $250 iirc if you need the flat filler part that goes between the windshield and dash which I had to buy because mine was brittle and broke when I tried to remove it. That doesn’t include labor. I did mine myself. But from what I could gather, the new dash is an improved design that’s supposedly sturdier. I did see reinforcing ribs in the crack-prone areas. BTW there is a Dorman replacement for the filler piece that’s inexpensive but nobody else makes the dash itself except GM. And don’t get me started on the overlays, they’re not for me.

OP
OP
rdhogg

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s never going to happen. People tried though- first there was a petition for a recall but it was deemed to not be safety related which is required for recall status. Then there was (or still is) a class action lawsuit that never went anywhere. There was some help in the form of partial payment from GM Customer Service where some were getting theirs replaced for around $200-300 for awhile but not anymore. Now it’s about $650 for the dash itself plus another $250 iirc if you need the flat filler part that goes between the windshield and dash which I had to buy because mine was brittle and broke when I tried to remove it. That doesn’t include labor. I did mine myself. But from what I could gather, the new dash is an improved design that’s supposedly sturdier. I did see reinforcing ribs in the crack-prone areas. BTW there is a Dorman replacement for the filler piece that’s inexpensive but nobody else makes the dash itself except GM. And don’t get me started on the overlays, they’re not for me.
Yeah, I knew all that, I hear ya, but I have to vent some times. I love my Hoe, but I hate that damn dash

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the average guy/gal with a 10-14 year old truck, a dashskin is an easy and inexpensive fix. It's not perfect, but certainly better than a dash with a lot of cracks or holes in it. And it sure beats the $1500 I've seen a lot of dealers quote to fix it. If mine cracks again, I will likely go the overlay route as there are enough other battle scars that it really wouldn't bother me too much. As far as I know, the class action suit was thrown out years ago. What is really amusing is all the folks that say they fixed their dash problem by buying a $60-80K replacement vehicle.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01