Aged 3rd brake light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really not sure what I should do to clean the plastic surround of the 3rd brake light up. I'm not sure how to prep it and what to use on it. Or if it's even worth messing with. It works and doesn't leak so I'd rather just mask it up unless I'm replacing it.
What would you suggest?
IMG_5980.JPG

EDIT
I was hoping I could perhaps clear coat it. Otherwise I'll probably hit it with some rubbing compound and see where that gets me for now.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I had the same exact problem on my 95 Blazer. Never bothered me so I just left it alone. Seems to be the clear plastic coating that's just giving up the ghost, just from getting old and exposure to the elements. Try wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper, buffing it with some compound/3M plastic polish, then using some clearcoat with UV protectant in it. You should be good to go.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a go at it today. I hadn't noticed before but the lens is cracked a little at the top on both ends. A 2000 grit foam pad got rid of the scabby bits and most of the old laquer. A quick rub with some plastic polish and it already looks better. I didn't spend much time polishing it up with plastic polish but I will have another go at it as a stopgap. I think I should just replace it eventually.

I did have a good go with the plastic polish on the black plastic trim on the rear corners next to the hatch at the back and it's never looked so good.
Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scuff and shoot with automotive clearcoat. Works wonders on all plastic lights, even headlamps.

I can see crap has got inside it. I was thinking the clearcoat would probably seal the cracks in the plastic lens for a bit, but it's never going to look as nice as a new one.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a can of clear coat but I will probably just return it and put the $10 towards a new unit.
Needs a bit more wet sanding but as I just washed the truck I'll hit it with some rubbing compound and then try to polish it up some.
I'm not finished but it's looking better than I thought.
IMG_5981.JPG