Aftermarket shocks with Nivomat springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yugrus

Reaction score
Mine is '14 plain Tahoe LS with ZW7, which implies Nivomat rear shocks. It feels like it can use a set of shocks and struts. It is recommended everywhere to replace both shocks and springs in the rear if going with non-self-leveling shocks, as Nivomats have load-bearing ability. If one replaces just the shocks, the rear will drop.
That's what is interesting. The rear is quite a bit higher then the front in stock configuration. So if it drops a couple of inches, that would be beneficial from the vanity standpoint.
But what about the performance? Will the now- compressed springs act differently? The truck rides much better when loaded now as is, so maybe this will be beneficial as well?
I'm not planning to tow anything, and I had the truck fairly loaded only once in four years of ownership.
I was thinking between Bilstein (not sure which series yet) and Gabriel (implied self-adjusting to the road conditions). Looking for the most comfortable ride possible.
Will this work and what's your recommendation? I know that Bilsteins are very popular here, but... Am I reading too much into Gabriel 's claims?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have an 03 with the ZW7. I swapped out the Nivomat shocks for KYB's, using the ZW7 springs. At highway speeds(65mph)the rearend started swaying side to side after hitting dips or pot holes. It actually felt scary. ZW7 springs are much softer, due to the Nivomats being so firm. Once I changed rear springs it stopped the swaying. If you're going non Nivomats, I'd highly suggest going to a different rear spring.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Nivomat shocks for sale that were on my 2002 Tahoe.

OP
OP
Y

yugrus

Reaction score
Thank you Tony for the insight. Haven't thought about it this way, very good to know! New springs it is..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan