Aftermarket RSE questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newyukondriver

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2022 Yukon Denali XL nd it didn't have rear seat entertainment. RSE was the only feature I wanted but couldn't get (was lucky to get this one from a dealer w/ only a 6 day wait, it was in transit when I called and we were in a hurry and there aren't many cars in the area).

I'm hoping to get an RSE system installed, but I have a few questions:

- I have a 2-year-old and a new baby on the way in March. We're currently using a portable Wonnie DVD player that just Velcros onto the headrest. We don't like it for a number of reasons (he can kick it easily, I don't like the wires, and it only plays DVDs so he often wants to watch Blippi on my phone). We do like that it has built-in speakers so he doesn't have to use headphones and I don't have to play the sound through the car audio. Are there are aftermarket RSE systems that can be installed permanently that have speakers built in but also the option for headphones when the kids get older?

- I REALLY like the looks of these. https://www.vizualogicdirect.com/omni-8? Anyone have them installed? If so, how do they work / do they have speakers / did they really do a good job matching the built-in headrests. I would strongly prefer a system that is built into the headrest.

- If I have to buy a system w/o built in speakers, can I connect the bluetooth on it to a portable bluetooth speaker and use that in the car to allow the kids to get sound w/o having to have headphones or play through car audio?

Thanks for all your help in advance! I do NOT want to buy tablets under any circumstances, since it will be a long time until my two kids can use them independently and I don't want them to have to be looking down, I want something built into the seat.

Cryptocap

Reaction score
I would strongly consider rethinking the tablet thing. something like this Tablet holder. It is much more secure than Velcro and gives you more flexibility in the future. Also GM makes an integrated one, but apparently nothing for the new model years yet.

The ones in the headrest are going to get dated quickly. It will be expensive and when it breaks you are in for another costly repair. Tablets can be loaded with shows and movies and won’t cost as much. Plus easier to upgrade.

Last edited:

Keg0brew

Reaction score
I second the tablet idea. Built in RSE are a waste of $$$ in my opinion. Grab some brand new ipads and headrest mounts, load up some stuff, and lets the kids go. That works better for kids from 2 through to 16+ in my experience. I used to argue that being able to use an Xbox with a RSE was the trump card, but now that you can play Xbox games from the cloud (or downloaded to your device) its game over for the RSE. Tablets are just so much, much, much more flexible and cost efficient.

Cryptocap

Reaction score
I second the tablet idea. Built in RSE are a waste of $$$ in my opinion. Grab some brand new ipads and headrest mounts, load up some stuff, and lets the kids go. That works better for kids from 2 through to 16+ in my experience. I used to argue that being able to use an Xbox with a RSE was the trump card, but now that you can play Xbox games from the cloud (or downloaded to your device) its game over for the RSE. Tablets are just so much, much, much more flexible and cost efficient.
This is what mine looks like. The holder keeps it close to the seat.
CC1D4AAE-E82E-4FCF-A70C-03D84F9ECE47.jpegEAA8073B-31F8-45F4-BB3F-C071E401CA18.jpeg
And when you don’t need it, it folds in and out of the way.

123ablack

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GM Pulled the Rear Seat Entertainment from the Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban for the rest of this model year.. this sucks..
is there an aftermarket rear seat entertainment system (either dual monitor screens or drop-down displays) that would connect to the front screen? not so much for watching on the front screen but i wanna be able to control it from the front screen.
Any info would be appreciated

Keg0brew

Reaction score
You can remote control iPads on the same wifi network using iOS’s built in Switch Control functionality. Or you can download an app like TeamViewer to mirror screens from one device to others. Neither are as easy as a built in unit, and both require WiFi. I assume android devices have similar if not better functionality.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what mine looks like. The holder keeps it close to the seat.
View attachment 365120View attachment 365121
And when you don’t need it, it folds in and out of the way.
Which tablet holder is that? Looks super clean. I agree on all fronts for infotainment. Tablets are much more cost effective, flexible and likely offer a much wider array of games, movies, shows, etc. Built in RES seems so archaic, see any rap video from 1997-2004. Also considering all the latest challenges with GM's RES just seems like a no brainer to buy some new ipads.

Cryptocap

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! Didn't realize the one you linked earlier was the same thing. Thanks for sending again.
you’re welcome. It can hold a Nintendo Switch too. And two of those can be locally connected. So lots of options as kids get older.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts