Aftermarket bluetooth suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used 2 of the Bluetooth to FM adaptors. On both my GM car and SUV if I left the unit powdered on it would interfere with my key fob for opening the doors. They do work good for music, pad casts and so so for phone calls due to the mic/power plug being low on the dash. For calls get a quality Bluetooth ear pice. Your talking $40 - $90 price range. You can use Google or Siri to place a call. You can always get a head band for hands free talking. Little tuff making calls but legal in my state.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used 2 of the Bluetooth to FM adaptors. On both my GM car and SUV if I left the unit powdered on it would interfere with my key fob for opening the doors. They do work good for music, pad casts and so so for phone calls due to the mic/power plug being low on the dash. For calls get a quality Bluetooth ear pice. Your talking $40 - $90 price range. You can use Google or Siri to place a call. You can always get a head band for hands free talking. Little tuff making calls but legal in my state.

That's just way too much hassle for the amount I drive... if I really need to call during that time, I will stealthily dial and do speakerphone or stop and call so that I'm not holding the phone while driving. Just sounds like way too much complication for something that really is a convenience; if I was someone who did phone calls all the time while on the road, then that might be something I should do... Actually my husband says sometimes on his hour drive to work he's putting out fires on the phone and I know he is doing speakerphone/holding the phone while he's driving. HE would be a good candidate for one of these gadgets on his older GMC truck IF he can hear/be heard.

Sobro

Reaction score
Caligirl, I know you want the functionality of Bluetooth earpieces in a two-way speaker so you can dial and talk on the phone hands free and receive calls over the Bluetooth speaker.

Here is one of those fake review sites that has a list of exactly what you want, all of which have affiliate links to Amazon so the fake reviewer makes money if you buy through their link. It's up to you to do your research and figure out which one works best for you.

https://decibelcar.com/best-bluetooth-car-speakerphones/

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you get any response? Mine had the fuse pulled. added fuse, paired it, noticed clipping, unpaired it.

Yeah it responds, just won't let me do the "pair" option. Just asks for a phone number to call.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
GM started adding BT (voice) to the trucks in 09. Prior to that, an OnStar subscription provided the option of making/taking calls through the OnStar VIM (voice integration module). It’s pricey and requires the OnStar subscription and then minutes have to be purchased from OnStar (Verizon). This feature can be trialed for free by pressing the blue OnStar button and asking the rep for a free trial. Attempting to sync a BT phone to a 07 or 08 truck is futile as there’s no BT electronics in the VIM.

Another option is to purchase and add a OnStar VIM from another 09 vehicle. The VIM carries the BT electronics inside and separate from the OnStar circuits. This method seamlessly integrates BT into the truck via the steering wheel controls and displays the phone numbers / data in the center console display and full voice control. This method makes OnStar see the truck it was donated from, not yours if you activate the OnStar account. Since some never active OnStar they don’t care because they only want the integrated BT. Expect to pay $25-$55 for a used VIM off eBay. OnStar subscription not needed.

Yet another option is BluStar by CoStar that replaces the OnStar module.

http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html

Another option is iSimple module but your truck must have XM radio to use this option.

https://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/e...&ds=0&t=1557026814000&ver=0&oversion=4f2cacd9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518