After 7 months of ownership, I decided to get rid of my '15 Denali >:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WP77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had an early 2015 Denali that I got rid of. I just replaced with a new 2018. I had around 45,000 miles on it. Problems included a new battery a year ago, the door pillar black plastic piece coming loose, memory seat not working properly, infotainment problems, right led tail light assembly, and tires that only lasted 40,000 miles. Luckily the AC was still working when I sold it. This seemed like a ridiculous amount of problems for a $70,000 vehicle.

I have a 2014 Sierra Crew Cab SLT I also purchased new. It has around 52,000 miles currently. Problems on it included a leaking ac condenser, tires that only lasted 40,000 miles, right leaf spring making a banging noise, and infotainment problems. Again, the amount of problems seem excessive.

I would agree with the others. I’ll never buy a 1st year new body style again. There seems to be a huge difference in this 2018 Yukon. All the bugs are worked out.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're saying about the battery. I live in upstate NY, where we can have some extremely cold weather. In 30 years of driving, I've never, ever had a battery fail this quickly. I routinely get 5-7 years out of a battery, even in these harsh conditions we have 4-5 months a year. I traded in a loaded 2011 Chevy Avalanche LTZ with 124,000 miles on it for this Denali. The LTZ still had the original battery in it.

I'd love to get that kind of life out of a battery!!

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Miami I am lucky to get 4 years out of a battery. Three years is about my limit down here in the jungle heat. When I lived in NYC I got around 5 years [sometimes more] on a battery.

I had my battery checked in my 2016 Tahoe [45K miles] at Advance Auto a couple of week ago and all is good. For right now anyway.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your experience. I don't think this was a new model thing; there really wasn't that much mechanically new in the 2015s, much more cosmetic.

I also don't think your experience is representative. These vehicles are scoring very well on reliability.

As a data point only, and not intended as a shame - did you have an independent pre-purchase inspection done on the vehicle before you bought it?

I do agree that OEM batteries very often do not last more than 2 or 3 years.

coacht

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. How many miles on it when you bought it? I too recently bought a 2016 Denali used and just started feeling the vibrating (like driving over rumble strips) at various speeds and riding very rough like the suspension is way too hard. Fun stuff.

Contact your local dealer about flushing the tranny and reprogramming the software. Ours had similar vibrations (rumble strip feeling.) We had this done last week, it was a service bulletin issued by GMC. It ran about $630 but haven't had any issues since. I'll keep you updated. But I'd look into it for sure!

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
Myself, if I look on a website and see the main complaints are batteries and tires that last a long time, but not super long, or easily replaceable bits like trim pieces or A/C compressors, I see that as a plus.

I've owned cars with real problems before...

WP77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Myself, if I look on a website and see the main complaints are batteries and tires that last a long time, but not super long, or easily replaceable bits like trim pieces or A/C compressors, I see that as a plus.

I've owned cars with real problems before...
I agree with you on the batteries and tires. But I have to disagree on things like the A/C component failures, LED tail light assemblies, buffetting and memory seats. These problems are all the results of using cheap components, which is ridiculous on a car this expensive. The LED taillight would have cost me almost $500 for a gm replacement(I found a guy on ebay that fixes/exchanges them for much cheaper.). Also, the A/C problems are a very expensive fix for the average person. Luckily I know how to work on AC and was able to fix for just the price of the new parts.

I still bought a new 2018 to replace my 2015. I really love the vehicle, there were just some flaws that needed to be worked out. So far(1 week), I'm very impressed with this 2018. The 10 speed transmission is a huge improvement over the 6 speed in the 2015, shifts smooth as glass. Lots of the little things are improved. The steering wheel radio controls respond on the first push, unlike my 2015 Yukon and 2014 Sierra. This 2018 rides a little smoother as well, despite having 22" wheels vs. the 20" on my old 2015.