After 7 months of ownership, I decided to get rid of my '15 Denali >:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I decided to trade in this malady of a vehicle after 7 horrific months of ownership. First month in, I had to replace the shark fin antenna. ($350) Known to leak...mine did. Next was the interior A-pillar molding: just popped off one day while I was driving. The clips that hold it in place broke, so I had to replace that. ($100) Then of course, you all know about the cladding by the windows not staying in place. I couldn't bear to spend more money for those, so I "fixed" them with Gorilla Tape. Then I had to replace the A/C compressor. About an $800 fix. About six weeks after that, I had to replace the battery - another $200. At this point, I told my wife "If ONE MORE THING HAPPENS, I'M DONE. GETTING RID OF IT!". Low and behold exactly one week after I replaced the battery, I get a message on my center console to service suspension system and service leveling system. A trip to the dealership revealed I had a bad strut....Close to $1000 to replace it. So after seven completely frustrating months, I traded the Denali in on a Ford F-150 Platinum Edition. I couldn't in good faith, give GM another dime. For a vehicle that was close to $80,000 when new, there is NO WAY it should have these issues within three years. Granted, I bought it used, but again, I thought I was buying the best SUV GMC has to offer. I've never had issues like this with any other GM product....even my 1983 Citation had a better service record than this Denali. So, while I've enjoyed my time here on this forum with you good people, I've sadly got to move on. Everyone has been a wealth of information and it's greatly appreciated.

G00se

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. How many miles on it when you bought it? I too recently bought a 2016 Denali used and just started feeling the vibrating (like driving over rumble strips) at various speeds and riding very rough like the suspension is way too hard. Fun stuff.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear as well, but completely understand the frustration. Everybody sometime in their life will get snakebit on a vehicle. With me it was a few Honda’s and a Dodge Durango. Good luck with your new purchase

2015Denali4WD

Reaction score
I don't blame you and glad to see you get rid of your Denali because I'm going through similar situation. Denali has way to many problems to be charging $80,000.

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you, and glad you cut the cord before it got worse for you.

its really sad to continue to hear stories like this

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say I blame you but you really shouldn't count the battery in there as being an issue. It's an expense, sure, but one that will need to be incurred on any vehicle not matter the brand, model, etc.

No clue where you live but here in AZ it is pretty common to go through a battery within 2-3 years due to the summer temps we experience.

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. How many miles on it when you bought it? I too recently bought a 2016 Denali used and just started feeling the vibrating (like driving over rumble strips) at various speeds and riding very rough like the suspension is way too hard. Fun stuff.

It had about 45,000 on it when I bought it. Had 59,800 when I got rid of it Monday.

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can't say I blame you but you really shouldn't count the battery in there as being an issue. It's an expense, sure, but one that will need to be incurred on any vehicle not matter the brand, model, etc.

No clue where you live but here in AZ it is pretty common to go through a battery within 2-3 years due to the summer temps we experience.

I understand what you're saying about the battery. I live in upstate NY, where we can have some extremely cold weather. In 30 years of driving, I've never, ever had a battery fail this quickly. I routinely get 5-7 years out of a battery, even in these harsh conditions we have 4-5 months a year. I traded in a loaded 2011 Chevy Avalanche LTZ with 124,000 miles on it for this Denali. The LTZ still had the original battery in it.

OP
OP
TonyR0206

TonyR0206

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't blame you and glad to see you get rid of your Denali because I'm going through similar situation. Denali has way to many problems to be charging $80,000.

My boss owns a 2015 Escalade. Almost identical in every way to the Denali, for the most part. He's had $9000 in repairs in the past two years. These CLEARLY are not a well made vehicle.