AFE Momentum GT

Discussion in 'Performance' started by 15TahoeLT, May 3, 2019.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. 15TahoeLT

15TahoeLT Member

Name:
    Rob
    Before and after:

Also detailed the engine bay while I was in there and trimmed down the front air dam. Feels a bit better and has a nice growl that was missing before. Relatively easy install as most intake systems are...had to remove the mini brace to fit the air filter housing in and install it back over top but other than that maybe an hour tops.
    IMG_4605.jpg IMG_4636.jpg IMG_4637.jpg IMG_4639.jpg

mikeyss and BigBlueLB756 like this.
  2. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Full Access Member

Name:
    George
    Yeah, but now you don't have that convenient writing desk at the front of your engine anymore.

(Looks good!)

WifesYukon17 likes this.
  3. sclemmer

sclemmer TYF Newbie

Name:
    Steven
    I had issues with this intake in my ‘19 Tahoe. I had random rattles and other noises under acceleration. Turns out the intake that places like Blackbear recommend is the wrong part for our trucks. Notice the difference in the air box for this one: https://afepower.com/afe-power-51-74110-momentum-gt-pro-dry-s-cold-air-intake-system
    It doesn’t have the useless rubber plug and fits better than the model you installed.

4. 15TahoeLT

15TahoeLT Member

Name:
    Rob

Interesting! That explains why I had to remove the little brace to get it to fit. So far, no weird noises or issues though. Seems to be working nicely.

5. tdriver113

tdriver113 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Just installed that one this weekend. It does have a plug on the bottom.

6. cuco

cuco TYF Newbie

Name:
    Francisco
    I had the brace rattle when I installed my AFE last year. I put on some felt tape between the brace and the box and problem solved.

7. fozzi58

fozzi58 Full Access Member

Name:
    fozzi58
    I have the same intake. Fit perfectly and I removed the useless rubber plug for more air flow. It sounded real good until I did my exhaust. Now I can't hear it anymore. lol

8. Brad LeFevre

Brad LeFevre TYF Newbie

Name:
    Fever
    Just got off the phone with AFE and discussed the difference between the fully enclosed box and the one listed on Black Bear with the crescent moon opening. He felt that the one with the half crescent moon opening is the way to go even if you need to remove and reinstall the small brace and use some felt. Did you guys go dry or oiled version? Thanks.

9. 1sikryd

1sikryd Member

Name:
    George
    I also had a discussion with AFE tech support and got a different answer. The 74104 is the one with the extra port on the housing, and is CARB approved. Then there's the 74110, not CARB approved, has better performance gains, but doesn't flow as well. To complicate things, there are four other models that fit 12332, 32332, 82332 and 30028R. According to AFE's dyno numbers, the 30028R gave the best performance gains with +15hp and +21ft/lbs, and flowed 30% over stock. The 74110 had gains of +14hp, 17ft/lbs, with 30% flow over stock. While the 74104 flowed the best with +35% over stock, but only had gains of +12hp, and +15ft/lbs. . I'm in Cali so most retailers will only ship CARB approved parts to California. With that said, I will be running the 74110 with the dry filter.

Brad LeFevre likes this.
  10. Brad LeFevre

Brad LeFevre TYF Newbie

Name:
    Fever
    I wonder if the sealed box without the port benefited from less heat despite less flow? Maybe I'll go that route as well. Going to add the Black Bear tune and most likely call it a day on my 15 YXL 6.2.

1sikryd likes this.