Advice on wether I should skip this deal or check it out again 2016 Yukon xl denali help a mom out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilmil210

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m highly interested in getting a Yukon XL Denali but have read about the transmission having serious issues does anyone know the type of transmissions that are having problems and how do I go about finding that. Today I went to look at one and test drive it I have a budget unfortunately I cant buy a new one but I did see a 2016 yukon xl denali. Its beautiful and honestly all I ever wanted the truck has 100k miles it drove beautifully no transmission issues that I noticed I was looking at this truck at a Chevrolet dealer the issue here is that when I was driving it and came to a complete stop right before it stopped like a second before it stops it jerks kinding like a soft sliding but not sliding it was soft but noticeable to everyone in the truck the truck was what im guessing on ice weather mode which it was raining and cold today. I didn’t know that the truck had these features so I was very concerned and voiced it they not being GMC experts decided to check brakes and throttle body but ultimately they found no resolution but to flush the transmission which to me it didn’t sit right I felt like maybe they want to temporarly fix the problem or can temporarly fix it but what if its a serious trans problem. My question is, is it normal to do this while on ice winter mode. Any feedback would be nice.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission can be flushed and new fluid added which helps the transmission issue. There is a special transmission fluid and the Dealer should be aware of it no matter if they are Chevy or GMC. You may also want to consider an extended warranty for peace of mind with all the electronics on these newer models and the mileage, you also have magneride suspension which can be expensive to repair.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying a used vehicle with a problem can sure get expensive after you sign the papers. I'd probably just keep looking.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

May be transmission related and is best to find out the history of reported services. May just be the anti-lock brakes working and you are not used to the feel in a rig that size. Extended warranty is also a possibility but I have never been a fan of those. Have it inspected by an independent tech that you trust. If it just bugs you though, walk away and find another. 100k miles on a 6.5 year old rig is quite a bit after all, IMO.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The symptom you describe in and of itself doesn't really indicate any specific problem. It's kinda vague.

But food for thought...I just put a transmission in my 2016 Suburban (same as the Yukon XL) at about 95,000 miles. If you do some reading here and elsewhere, you'll quickly come to the conclusion that if the transmission hasn't been replaced on that truck yet - you WILL be doing it (check the carfax or maintenance history to see if it has been done). Whether or not you change the fluid, it won't save you. This pretty much applies to any transmission in any of these trucks from 2015-2020.

When I bought my Suburban used three years ago with 65,000 miles on it, I knew I'd be doing a transmission sooner than later because I did my research. No amount of maintenance will help. These trucks are built with faulty torque converters and thermostats that run the transmission dangerously close to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, which plays a vital role in their failure.

If it drives OK now, I wouldn't dissuade you from buying it just so long as you know full well that it's likely you'll have to replace the transmission. Consider some sort of extended warranty or service contract or see if you can get them to come off their asking price and bank that money for later.

A new transmission, torque converter and associated labor and materials cost me $5100 in January 2023. The good news is I now know I'm good to go for probably as long as I own this truck, the rest of the drivetrain is pretty trouble free historically.

NiamLeeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
These trucks are built with faulty torque converters and thermostats that run the transmission dangerously close to 200 degrees Fahrenheit, which plays a vital role in their failure.
Does your research show value in swapping the torque converter before failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic