Advice on replacing steering parts 2004 Tahoe Z71 240k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KarenZ71

Reaction score
Hello, I am in the process of replacing a few steering parts. Pitman arm, idler arm, inner and outter tie rods and tie rod ends. I'm wanting to see what kind of parts have been working for others. Im kind of limited on time so shipping time is a factor. I see 1AAuto has a kits and i could get in a day here in Kansas, and of course major part stores. There's mixed reviews on ac delco parts. So in a way I'm looking for cheap since it is a 2004 with 150-160k but also not to cheap.

Let me know what would be a good choice.?

Thanks

Gdsmith07

Reaction score
I just did a full rebuild on my front end and went with Moog.

I liked the grease-able option, especially in the harsh environment that the truck lives in.

can’t speak for many other brands, but I did just order a Napa branded pitman and idler arm and have a new MOOG draglink for it as well.

The Napa branded stuff that I’ve gotten as log. As it was their slightly more expensive line and not rebuilt has lasted alright so far. I’m sure someone else will chime in.

Teamiez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did my front end I went with all moog components
Upper control arms, inner & outer tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm & bracket, center link. This was at 160k. I am now at 201k and have no issues. Went with the best moog stuff available forgot what line they called it & the heavy duty pitman arm and idler arm. Only thing I would say is if your steering box is original, not leaking, and has minimal play LEAVE IT BE. Finding a good remanufactured steering box these days is a very hard thing to accomplish, my only regret.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son did his 04 Silverado with all NAPA parts, expensive compared to the full kits available. Only thing he ran into was the brand new idler arm has some slop in it. Took it back and got another one, exact same thing. Had to use it since his old one was really loose but for that money the new arm should have no looseness I'd think. I'd check the new parts real close before installing for sure.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son did his 04 Silverado with all NAPA parts, expensive compared to the full kits available. Only thing he ran into was the brand new idler arm has some slop in it. Took it back and got another one, exact same thing. Had to use it since his old one was really loose but for that money the new arm should have no looseness I'd think. I'd check the new parts real close before installing for sure.
How much "looseness"? A brand new idler arm is biggly tight.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems pretty loose to me, and that's a $200 part. He's running it and said it was a huge improvement from the old stuff. But I agree, a new part should be tight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10