Advice on my current setup, any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe442

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently running an alpine head unit with 2 alpine speakers both in the front doors. The rear doors are empty and I am looking to fill them, recently learned of the stock amp powering those doors and connected the wiring to kick the amp on. An then im running two 12" memphis subs on top of that.

What im wondering is should i stick with the same door speakers for the rears that are in the front? or would it be better quality wise to run with a midrange speaker, components etc.

Also any recommendations on tweeters and the rear roofs? (currently no roof speakers)

Just looking for the best setup quality wise but not breaking my wallet. Thanks guys

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would run components in the front doors, because they already have tweeters that you could replace with the higher quality ones.

Rear speakers don't have a place to mount a tweeter, so either go with a coaxial, or just a normal 6.5" speaker. If you go with a coax, you might have to drill a hole in your speaker grilles for the tweeter in the middle.

For rear roof, it's a 4x10 speaker. If you want to just replace it, there's the Kenwood KFC-415c. One of the few 4x10's still offered.
Or, you can modify the mounting plate for 6x9 speakers, just make sure they're shallow enough to fit. Just depends on the amount of work you want to do.

I have Polk speakers now, and they're decent for the price. I'll probably go with some higher quality components pretty soon, and I'll give Polk a shot first when I do. Just my opinion.

So for your setup, I would move your front door speakers to the back doors, and get a set of components that comes with the 6.5" midrange, crossover, and tweeter. I'm looking at the Polk db6501, just for an idea.

OP
OP
Tahoe442

Tahoe442

Reaction score
Awesome advice I appreciate it, I had a thought that would be the best setup. Ordering a set of components when I get home tonight. Not quite sure if I'll even bother with the rear roof speakers, do you think it's even a substantial difference with either 4x10s or 6x9s vs nothing at all?

96whitetahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have a third row seat? Well, nix that, due to the subs, the bass out back will drown out the speakers overhead unless they are pointed right on top of the third row. Most of your sound stage is in the front anyways, hence components in front for the best clarity.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome advice I appreciate it, I had a thought that would be the best setup. Ordering a set of components when I get home tonight. Not quite sure if I'll even bother with the rear roof speakers, do you think it's even a substantial difference with either 4x10s or 6x9s vs nothing at all?

The only reason I really bothered with them is because there are times I will open the tailgate and just sit in the back when I'm tailgating or just hanging out with friends, and so it makes it sound better in the back. I use my remote to control my HU and it works out pretty well.

What components are you looking at?

OP
OP
Tahoe442

Tahoe442

Reaction score
No 3rd row seat. That makes sense, ill just skip the 4x10s simply because of the subs. Didnt even think about that. I'm looking at these ones here

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34364_Alpine-SPR-60C.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34373_Alpine-SPS-610C.html

Trying to stick with alpine for my audio, these components both have excellent reviews. Haven't ordered just yet, the GF needs ideas for christmas gifts http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

what are some of your guys setups with amplifying the door speakers?

Does anyone have experience with the Alpine power packs that connect directly to the stereo?

GMCYukonDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are some of your guys setups with amplifying the door speakers?

I have a JBL P80.4 under my back seat, it powers all 4 doors. I'm running my left front and left rear doors off the front left output. They're wired in parallel, so it drops the impedance to 2 ohms, which also increases the output to 80 watts to each speaker.

Same thing with the right side doors, only they're coming off the front right input.

Then I bridged the 2 rear outputs to the sub, so it's getting 160 watts.

Not a bad setup, 4 door speakers and a sub off 1 amp. It doesn't get hot and it handles everything fine.

RynoHarris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running Alpine 6.5" coax in all my doors with a set of power acoustik tweeters where the stock tweeters were in the front doors. Kenwood 4x10 in rear are good speakers, its what I use and I only keep them in there for the reasons you stated (tailgating, hanging out, and my fav drive in movies.) Components are great if you can afford the speakers plus the amp you want to power them!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz