Advice needed on buying a 1996 Tahoe in Rome, Italy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lake Tahoe 1996

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just joined this forum! I am about to buy a 1996 3-door Tahoe 5.7 Vortec which has 125k miles. In Europe, it is high-mileage and demand for such vehicles is low.

This Tahoe is a well-maintained single owner vehicle and has a service history too. It was not used for off-road driving. Tahoes are not many in Italy or even in Europe.

Now, to keep it going trouble for many more thousands of miles, what do I need to look for out for in, and what special care I need to give to, this high-mileage vehicle?

If well taken care of, with regular service and maintenance, how may more miles can one expect from this vehicle? My usage is only on-road and short-distance daily runs to work and back. (20 miles a day).

Any tip would be very helpful!

Cheers!

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum Anith , glad to have you onboard. Your selection is a good one, that is a hard to find vehicle here in the USA. Most of them have been road hard and put up wet to speak of. If you could get as much information as possible from previous owner and follow that guideline. These vehicle have a long life if taken care of, mainly regular service such as oil/filter/transmission service/4wd (if so equipped). My particular Tahoe is @ 202k and is still all original, engine never apart. Honesty is the best policy, if your uncertain for any reason , just pass on it.
David g
.....:2cents:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask if the lower intake gaskets have been replaced. The original ones tended to leak coolant after around 60,000 miles so check for coolant in the oil and also for coolant leaks along the back of the block. With that mileage, it’s a toss-up as to whether they’ve been changed or not.

A shop here would probably charge around $800 to replace them. You could do it yourself for significantly less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk