Adjusting Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLimited

Reaction score
Newbie Needs Help!

I've read this thread from a couple years ago, and am concerned that I'll break the adjusting T15 hex screws. I tried turning them a little yesterday, and they seem to turn, but the headlamp didn't move. I'm also confused as to what the male (protruding up) adjusting "rods" (with a hexagonal nut-style tip) do. I turned them quite a bit and nothing happened there either.

As you can see from the pics, I'm interested in adjusting the inside driver headlamp down, so that it fits squarely in the grill frame.

Any specific instructions would be greatly appreciated. I just bought this limited earlier this week and I'm diggin' it. The body is extremely straight, and aside from paint blemishes, this misaligned headlamp is the only thing not straight on the exterior!

I've included a couple pics of the holes...if anyone can give me specific instructions, referring to them, that'd be great.

TIA,
Terry

Attachments

• DSC00607-ls.jpg
    DSC00607-ls.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00613-ls.jpg
    DSC00613-ls.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00610-ls.jpg
    DSC00610-ls.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC00611-ls.jpg
    DSC00611-ls.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 71

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The hex heads sticking out are basically a screw in rod that hold the lens section to the base section you can unscrew them so far and pull out the rest of the way to pull the lenses out and get access to the bulbs and connectors for changing them out. The other two deep in the holes are for vertical and horizontal alignment.

99TahoeTow4WD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And now the answer you've really wanted to know: on my after market headlight housing, for up / down, turning adj screw clockwise moves the beam down and counter clockwise moves the beam up.

Read ad nauseam for technique. Mine only needed slight adjustment, so no measuring tapes. I just pointed vehicle at brick wall for calibration.

Didn't adjust left / right though, so you on your own for that.

Ok new headlights are on now..So now my question is,does anyone know how to adjust them?? I was looking at the manual but they say to take it to the shop,forget all that..Any help would be appreciated:hmm::think::think:

ColdIronAxe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hahaha here you go man, right out of the GM mechanics book if you dont have the headlight aimers

1 - park your truck 25 feet back from a wall ( has to be exactly 90 degrees)
2 - measure from the center of the headlight (the little O in the center of the low beam lense)
3 - take that measurement to the wall and mark 4 inches lower then the hight of the headlight.
4 - measure from the center of your truck to the same O on the lense and transfer that line on to the wall also.
5 - adjust the hot spot of the light to the cross section and your done
Awesome, I love it when someone writes a detailed and precise response my man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan