Adding Subwoofer to 2004 Tahoe w/ Factory Bose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hitdawg742

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All- I have added a subwoofer in the back of my 2004 tahoe. It sits nicely under the rear panel where they used to put the woofers in earlier models. It was done professionally, so it is a pretty clean install.

I have a bose sound system with the factory woofer in the center console. Head unit is factory (not the NAV)

My issue is that they tapped into the audio from one of the rear door speakers, when I believe they should have grabbed the signal from either a) the factory woofer or b) directly from the head unit.

I have combed the internet for an answer for this specific model year(s) and have come up short. Can anyone weigh in on where is best to grab the signal? I am taking it back later this week because the bass does not hit the way it should.

Thank you

Dolfz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All- I have added a subwoofer in the back of my 2004 tahoe. It sits nicely under the rear panel where they used to put the woofers in earlier models. It was done professionally, so it is a pretty clean install.

I have a bose sound system with the factory woofer in the center console. Head unit is factory (not the NAV)

My issue is that they tapped into the audio from one of the rear door speakers, when I believe they should have grabbed the signal from either a) the factory woofer or b) directly from the head unit.

I have combed the internet for an answer for this specific model year(s) and have come up short. Can anyone weigh in on where is best to grab the signal? I am taking it back later this week because the bass does not hit the way it should.

Thank you
I need this advice also !! I have a 2003 z71 with the factory bose 6 disc head i want to add a aftermarket sub for the rear .. I do love the factory sound but it does need just a tad more bass in the back..any recommendations would be awesome

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get the full effect of the subwoofer, you need to tap into both output channels of the stereo system. If the installer tapped only into one door, then you are receiving only 1 channel of your stereo output. Also, if you use your head unit's balance or fader control, you could likely get reduced output from your new subwoofer.

If you are not using an external amp for the new subwoofer installation, then you should tap into the existing subwoofer's connections. Then, you will have a filtered signal (high sounds filtered out) and you will get both channels of the stereo system being played in your new subwoofer.

IMO, you should have an external amp for your new subwoofer.

OP
OP
hitdawg742

hitdawg742

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need this advice also !! I have a 2003 z71 with the factory bose 6 disc head i want to add a aftermarket sub for the rear .. I do love the factory sound but it does need just a tad more bass in the back..any recommendations would be awesome
So I took it back and they got the signal from the woofer. It hits reaaaal nice now. I’d suggest having them do that assuming you have the factory woofer up front already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods