Adding PAG Oil to receiver drier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ezombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am changing my entire AC system on my 1999 2 door Tahoe 5.7. Since I have already balanced the new compressor with the correct amount of PAG oil but since I'm changing the condenser, both hoses, and the receiver drier, I need to add PAG to each of them. I know what amounts to add but I cannot find any direction on how and where to add it to the receiver drier or the condenser. I would assume you need to pour it into a specific side not just either side. Anyone know for sure?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the oil do in each place you are planning to add it? Why not add it thru charging hoses? Compressor is full already. And where did this idea and total oil amount come from? Too much oil and compressor slugging a problem.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It really does not matter because pressure moves the oil thru the system to help lubricate the moving parts in the compressor. Pour it in whatever port you want in the condenser and accumulator. It is very important for the right amount of oil to be in compressor as soon as it is activated. You said you covered that. Now I worry that the compressor you got is MAYBE a cheap compressor because it did not come with the correct amount of oil in the compressor to begin with. Quality compressors come with the correct oil and amount in them already. The rest is just oil to top off and added as needed and will move where it needs to be under pressure. Did you flush the rest of the system, like the evaporator? You should have. Are you changing the orifice? You should. Plans for the vacuum pump? Tell us/me how the steps for that will be. Please.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am changing my entire AC system on my 1999 2 door Tahoe 5.7. Since I have already balanced the new compressor with the correct amount of PAG oil but since I'm changing the condenser, both hoses, and the receiver drier, I need to add PAG to each of them. I know what amounts to add but I cannot find any direction on how and where to add it to the receiver drier or the condenser. I would assume you need to pour it into a specific side not just either side. Anyone know for sure?
Changed my condenser out the other day and no oil came out of it so no new oil went in. I do not know for sure if adding oil is the same for yours, mine has a cartridge with a caulking type gun and the blue line from the manifold gauge is used to introduce fluid to a sealed system.

10-5026/88901445 for the oil.

J-45037 for the injector kit.

1628434371032.png

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/C Delco compressors come pre-filled with the specified 8oz of PAG required for the system. Once you recharge the system and run it, the oil will lubricate and make its way through the system in its required quantity.

Double check the document/tags/label that came with the compressor for “Serviced with PAG 150” or something to that effect. If you pull the plugs, and try to pour out into container, and nothing comes out, you will have to add the correct quantity. I have personally never received an A/C compressor with no oil in it.

OP
OP
E

ezombie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It really does not matter because pressure moves the oil thru the system to help lubricate the moving parts in the compressor. Pour it in whatever port you want in the condenser and accumulator. It is very important for the right amount of oil to be in compressor as soon as it is activated. You said you covered that. Now I worry that the compressor you got is MAYBE a cheap compressor because it did not come with the correct amount of oil in the compressor to begin with. Quality compressors come with the correct oil and amount in them already. The rest is just oil to top off and added as needed and will move where it needs to be under pressure. Did you flush the rest of the system, like the evaporator? You should have. Are you changing the orifice? You should. Plans for the vacuum pump? Tell us/me how the steps for that will be. Please.
Thank you; yes, flushed evap, changed all other components and using a Delphi compressor which did come with correct amount of oil but instructions said to pour it out and verify so I did. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287