adding backup camera to nav/bose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zeus1gdsm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright.

So I have a new to me 2010. LT Tahoe.

Fully loaded. leather, heated, nav, bose, moonroof etc.

No Backup Camera. when I reverse the Nav changes to backup view. but there is of course no video feed as there is no camera.

I have scrolled and looked at 5 pages of backup camera searches.

I can't find my answer.

Is it possible the wiring for the backup camera is already there and I just need to remove the trunk fascia and install an OEM camera?

Or is it not possible and I would need to follow the thread talking about installing and running wires?

me88

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it had a backup camera at some point. The radio being programmed to switch to a camera makes that obvious, if the vehicle didn't come with a camera from the factory the radio does not have the screen for one.

The rear applique is an expensive part, even more expensive if it is one with camera. I think the camera is sold separately, and you probably have a plug in the tailgate. Getting the rear applique off is very tricky, the screws go into old plastic and GM put loc-tite on those screws from the factory. End result: the plastic breaks away and you have to put the standoffs back in with two component epoxy resin glue or similar. When reinstalling use a "light" loc-tite on the screws, without anything they will loosen up over time.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s possible the radio was swapped in from a vehicle that had a back-up camera. I think that is more likely than someone doing a back-up camera delete. Unless it was in an accident and they replaced the rear liftgate with one that didn’t have a camera.

I’d pull the radio and see what all is plugged in on the back to confirm the presence of wiring or not. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at the back of a head unit so I can’t tell you exactly what to look for. Hopefully someone else will come along with a little more familiarity of this stuff.

My guess is you’re looking at needing to run wires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcoop