Adding 3rd Row Seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slim13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. My wife traded in her JK for a 2018 Tahoe about 4 months ago and it didn't have a 3rd row, but I'd like to add one. The dealer said it originally had a 3rd row, though I'm skeptical. The back pillars have slits in the plastic shrouds for seatbelts, but the carpet has no holes. It's an LS I believe (no seat heaters, PO added leather to the seats). I actually picked up manual folding 3rd row seats and belts and actuators. Before I rip up the carpet, am I on a fools errand? Did they build the brackets into all the bodies at the factory, or would this require welding?

I could not find a single YouTube video of someone adding them to this model series, only the older ones. So if no one has ever done it on YouTube, can it be done??

thanks,
-Slim

My other life: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/78-refreshtoration-what-next.1214817/

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot imagine that GM would manufacture 2 different floor pans. It is easy enough to take off the rear (cargo) scuff plate and peek under the existing carpet; my money is on the floor having the anchors you need. Hopefully you picked up the mounting hardware with the seat.
Note.. you will lose about 5"-6" of cargo height/clearance once the seat is installed.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 was the year that the 3rd row became standard equipment, I believe. So unless its a PPV/SSV, it will have the anchors.

EDIT: I would have to think they just rolled the seat belts up, and put them behind the D-Pillar. If I am not mistaken, the seat belts, in all positions, are part of the SRS system, and if the belts were removed, you would have a SRS light on the dash since it cant detect the seatbelt pre-tensioners in those 3rd row seats.

Edit2: This has actually been one of my biggest complaints about GM on this series of trucks for years. I dont want third row, but they force me to buy them if I want this truck.

Last edited:

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 is a PPV... it did not have 3rd row, but I was able to add it... the anchor points for the mounts were in the floor pan... just needed the brackets and hardware...

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too added a third row to my GMT900, I have never seen the floor to a K2 suburban but would imagine GM kept the same philosophy of standard floor pans.

BooBoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. My wife traded in her JK for a 2018 Tahoe about 4 months ago and it didn't have a 3rd row, but I'd like to add one.
Everybody has different needs, but I would like to at least mention a couple things about the 3rd row seating: I can't imagine an adult being able to comfortably sit there as their knees would be under their chin because the seat is only a few inches above the floor AND having the 3rd row installed will leave you with VERY little actual cargo area between the back of the seat and the hatch.

Tmcree28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. My wife traded in her JK for a 2018 Tahoe about 4 months ago and it didn't have a 3rd row, but I'd like to add one. The dealer said it originally had a 3rd row, though I'm skeptical. The back pillars have slits in the plastic shrouds for seatbelts, but the carpet has no holes. It's an LS I believe (no seat heaters, PO added leather to the seats). I actually picked up manual folding 3rd row seats and belts and actuators. Before I rip up the carpet, am I on a fools errand? Did they build the brackets into all the bodies at the factory, or would this require welding?

I could not find a single YouTube video of someone adding them to this model series, only the older ones. So if no one has ever done it on YouTube, can it be done??

thanks,
-Slim

My other life: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/78-refreshtoration-what-next.1214817/
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I’m buying a midnight edition Tahoe for a really good price and plan on adding a 3rd since the midnight versions don’t have them. We’re you able to add a 3rd row to your LS?

thamsee38

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I’m buying a midnight edition Tahoe for a really good price and plan on adding a 3rd since the midnight versions don’t have them. We’re you able to add a 3rd row to your LS?
Hi we just got a 2019 we're you able to add third row

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17