addicted to software updates - what to say to get them from Dealer?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ers37

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have: 2017 Yukon XL SLT;
Need: software updates to anything/everything available (intelliLink, ECM, TCM, etc);
Why: I'm a believer in keeping tech updated with the newest patch/upgrades to receive the best performance and features possible. Seems reasonable to do this to my Yukon as well.

Plan to keep this Yukon for many miles; I'm a bit obsessive to keep gadgets updated. Cruising around tis2web is seems like there are some available updates since 2017 for the "Human Machine Interface Control Module" (intelliLink?) as well as a number of other modules. ***How to get these for my vehicle???

I called the GMC service garage and the explanation was "we don't do that unless you're having issues. No issues, no need to update"... seems like a weak answer when some of these updates upgrade featers, rather than simply patch flaws.

Where/how to say the right thing to have the car hooked up and scanned for ALL available updates? I'm in the Vancouver/Portland area if anyone knows a guy...

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your sentiment, but as the old adage goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. In the regard, Volvo used to upgrade software as part of routine maintenance. They have now found it more efficient to use software updates to address problems. The risk of applying software updates for the sake of updating software is that you can cause more problems or brick the car - as some manufacturers have discovered. When that happens, the dealer then has more work to get your car fixed.

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Need: software updates to anything/everything available (intelliLink, ECM, TCM, etc);
Why: I'm a believer in keeping tech updated with the newest patch/upgrades to receive the best performance and features possible. Seems reasonable to do this to my Yukon as well.

Plan to keep this Yukon for many miles; I'm a bit obsessive to keep gadgets updated. Cruising around tis2web is seems like there are some available updates since 2017 for the "Human Machine Interface Control Module" (intelliLink?) as well as a number of other modules. ***How to get these for my vehicle???

I called the GMC service garage and the explanation was "we don't do that unless you're having issues. No issues, no need to update"... seems like a weak answer when some of these updates upgrade featers, rather than simply patch flaws.

Where/how to say the right thing to have the car hooked up and scanned for ALL available updates? I'm in the Vancouver/Portland area if anyone knows a guy...
Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think they’ve done updates for the software since they created the K2XX platform in 14-15. Whenever they come out with a new generation they create all of the software and code for it and then that’s kinda just it, until the next generation. It’s not like Tesla where they are constantly sending out updates to fix and add features, unfortunately.

These vehicles are extremely tech advanced but at the same time stuck in the stone age.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the dealer apply software updates as part of a repair. I do know that there have been some recalls that required reprogramming of certain computer modules.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As Richard said, it is SOP to not update a module just because. However, if you have a laptop, you can buy the MDI interface and GDS software along with the ACDelco subscription and do it yourself. The TDS subscription allows you to update each module for two years or something like that.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The correct "ask" is have the module calibrations updated to the latest. Some calibrations are made for TSBs so if you don't have that particular problem it might be wise to skip that update.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but I'd also have to agree with others that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You might just be looking for issues where there currently are no issues. That might be exactly the reason why the dealers aren't interested doing it just like that.

These vehicles are extremely tech advanced but at the same time stuck in the stone age.

Stone age? :eek: Come on now... Pushrod V8 is the latest and greatest in vehicle technology, right? :deal:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Some SW updates are known only because a TSB was created to advise of its existence.

Some of the most notable TSB SW updates began in the early 07-14 (NNBS) Escalade. When or if the battery was disconnected/replaced without a battery backup in place, some of the 07 would have their speedo clocks freak out. The solution was a SW update or complete replacement if the dealer didn’t know.

Fast forward 10+ years and some unsuspecting owner swaps his battery and, BLAMMO! The poor owner thinks he fried his truck. The dealer drains his bank account and conducts a SW update after 8-10 hours of troubleshooting. As the processing power and features increase each model year, the SW updates become more detrimental.

So yes, like the Tesla’s frequent auto SW updates, GM will soon be doing the same as their EV & hybrid model roll out in the next few years. Until then, the Dealers have no interest in the updating SW in petrol vehicles because it generates no revenue. SW updates also reduce the dealers future diagnostic revenue potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
( Software up-dates)..... Just a thought......
Some years ago, I lived in Southern California ( Newport Beach).... A client bought a new Maybach ( A $500,000.00 version of a Mercedes S550 )..... He wanted to configure the car's software to video stream a service.
The computer has CD's that a dealer will never get. ( Dealers will only screw up the system & Mercedes will not give this to dealers).
BUT... A 'high-end' auto stereo company has access to the ability, to modify the computer. They can get the tools because they are independent. ( With friends in high places)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
On that note, it’s a bit off the beaten path of GM tech, what Mountie mentioned is correct. Circa 2000-05 ***/Audi was ahead of their time in the navigation head unit game. They held back their nav+ head unit from US shores. They also held back the integrated DVD, TV, BT, & audio hardware. They were afraid Americans would sue them for being distracted when driving.

In 05 they released a locked up version to the States. Meanwhile surpluses of the unlocked units with full vehicle in motion capabilities were stockpiled in EU from wrecked vehicles. *** added XM to the US head unit and then, BAM. A maverick came along and figured out how to add the US SW to the EU head units and literally convert it from a $100 EU obsolete unit to an ultra rare, exclusive US unit that was absent in all US cars. Thousands still live in US enthusiasts cars.

The outcome was a full color 8” screen integrated into steering wheel controls AND the display in the center console. Some console displays were color. With a custom DVD Navi disc to unlock the EU unit, you’d get full speech control of almost the entire car, BT, Digital over the air TV (DVB), DVD, XM, Navi, AM, FM, back up camera linked to steering wheel guidelines, music or video hard drive with Video in motion and lastly your cell could be controlled from the head unit.

The shark fin antenna served XM, AM, FM, Navi & DVB and an optional antenna in the bumper reinforcement bars if you opted for the integrated cell phone in the armrest made to stay in the car. It boosted your cell signal by approx 45-50%. Like GM SUV, the *** wagons had diversity antennas in the passenger side, rear most glass window. To most it looks like extra defrost wires in the glass. The head unit would constantly search between the roof and window glass antenna for the best signal. It would use the strongest signal of the two.

All this was available in EU in 2000. A SW update made it available to the US in 05. VW/Audi had OnStar too. They were brought on approx 02. When *** bought all their equipment, OnStar went digital and it made all the products sold to *** Obsolete. Since then *** has given OnStar the finger salute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu