Adaptive Cruise Control Following Distance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imnohero

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my Denali today with adaptive cruise. I came home about 90 miles and used the cruise most of the way in varying traffic. The far was pretty far back imo but would be good for light traffic on the open road. The near was good for heavier traffic to keep from getting cut off every minute.

It was really strange not hitting the brakes myself when the cars in front braked. I held my foot right on the brake ready to hit it but the damn thing works. At one point people slowed very rapidly and the cruise braked pretty hard but kept its safe distance.

I'll try to count tomorrow and see what the intervals are in seconds.

OP
OP
YukonRon

YukonRon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Could others with Adaptive Cruise Control on their Yukon Denali share their following distance in seconds in the "Far" setting? Mine is one second which is too close - it is one second at any speed so the higher the speed the greater the actual distance - still too close for my comfort. Others have said 2-3 seconds on their trucks which would be much more comfortable for me. Thanx!!

At 55mph, the Far setting is 3 seconds, which is fine.
At 75mph, the Far setting is 2 seconds, which is WAY too close at that speed.

I'm guessing the GM Engineers who programmed this didn't have state speed limits above 55mph but many states are now 75mph and I can't use my adaptive cruise control on the highway because the following distance is just too close and not safe. The Far setting should be speed dependent and follow further out the faster you go.

gary645

Reaction score
The adaptive cruise control should have the same following distance (in seconds) at all speeds. Mine are all too close. Far setting = 1 sec. Medium setting = .9 sec. Near setting = .8 sec. I've checked at speeds from 35 MPH to 75 MPH. All following distances are too close - most safety experts recommend a minimum of 2 - 3 seconds, especially at highway speeds. To do an accurate check, count from the time the vehicle in front of you passes a point until you reach the same point - (slowly count one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three) and let us know your results. My service manager found no info from GM and is reluctant to complain to GM so I've taken it to GM myself. I have a case number but so far no response. I suspect it is going to take a combined effort from owners like us. Please share your actual following distances. Some have reported 2 - 3 seconds or a number of car lengths. It is 1 or 2 or 3 seconds - but not more than one of these at any speed. And car lengths are too difficult to measure. Please carefully check your truck by counting seconds as described above and let others know your results. ACC is a great tool and works well - my following distances are just not safe. Thanx for sharing your results!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019