AC went out PLEASE READ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are lots of threads, and I have done my research. 2015 Tahoe has over 77K, we live in a cold climate so we only use AC for about 3 months out of the year. Our AC is so low that the compressor will not spin when we turn on the AC. I can do a dye test but need advice.

Is it possible to use 1 can of refrigerant just to get the dye into the system, hopefully, that will pressurize the system enough to get the compressor spinning?

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will not work. there is a TSB for this and GM offerred an extended warranty up to 60k miles.

the AC condenser and elbow pipe rupture on 2015 models. You have a leak. Replace that, then add freon.

I initially drew a vacuum and re-added freon to my old 2015 Tahoe when it happened to me. It lasted <1 day before blowing warm air again.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still contact GM about your issue. I had the issue and my mileage was over as well. GM did agree to cover some the cost and all they needed was a copy of the work order from the dealership.

JohnMoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Tahoe LTZ, 44000 miles. Took my truck to dealer on Tuesday with AC only blowing warm air. They replaced the condenser per the service advisory others have mentioned here. $0.00 paid. Drove home with cold air.

Did not use the AC yesterday, but today it’s back to warm air only and I had four small puddles of fluorescent green liquid under the car. Unknown if related.

Back to dealer tomorrow.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are lots of threads, and I have done my research. 2015 Tahoe has over 77K, we live in a cold climate so we only use AC for about 3 months out of the year. Our AC is so low that the compressor will not spin when we turn on the AC. I can do a dye test but need advice.

Is it possible to use 1 can of refrigerant just to get the dye into the system, hopefully, that will pressurize the system enough to get the compressor spinning?

You should always let the compressor run as it also serves as a dehumidifier, just set to Auto and choose the temperature of your liking. The computer will turn it off at temperatures lower than you'd expect, the numbers escape me at the moment.

JohnMoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2016 Tahoe LTZ, 44000 miles. Took my truck to dealer on Tuesday with AC only blowing warm air. They replaced the condenser per the service advisory others have mentioned here. $0.00 paid. Drove home with cold air.

Did not use the AC yesterday, but today it’s back to warm air only and I had four small puddles of fluorescent green liquid under the car. Unknown if related.

Back to dealer tomorrow.

Now replacing AC lines, front to back.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are lots of threads, and I have done my research. 2015 Tahoe has over 77K, we live in a cold climate so we only use AC for about 3 months out of the year.

You should always let the compressor run as it also serves as a dehumidifier, just set to Auto and choose the temperature of your liking. The computer will turn it off at temperatures lower than you'd expect, the numbers escape me at the moment.

The bulk of people who have A/C issues are the ones who do not use it constantly. Just set and forgot it.

Just do what James said. In vehicles that did not have temperature control I used leave the setting in the Bi-Level position all the time.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is not use or disuse. The issue is a poor design by GM

The elbow vibrates and causes a leak. GM issued a support for it to prevent undue stress and vibration

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is not use or disuse. The issue is a poor design by GM

The elbow vibrates and causes a leak. GM issued a support for it to prevent undue stress and vibration

It's both, in the instance of the early K2s, they had some design problems, but not using it usually results in issues down the road.