AC - Weird symptoms...??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djfell80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
To start: I did search through many posts and could not find someone experiencing this exact issue. If there is one, please let me know. Thanks in advance for all assistance!

So...just bought a 2005 Z-71 Tahoe, 215,*** miles. The AC seemed to be working mostly well when I drove it for the test drive. However, after purchase (same day) my wife, and I, went to run some errands. After shutting the engine off at one store, then starting after done shopping, the vents were not blowing cold air any longer. When straight home, no one wants to drive around without AC on a 105 degree day in central Texas.

Here is what I have found/done/etc.:
A) Compressor not kicking on. However, if you let it sit overnight it comes on at first, air cools accordingly. Then when you start to drive it the clutch kicks in and out, then the compressor stops altogether.

B) Changed the Climate Control Module (screen was cracked anyways and it bothered my wife).

C) Compressor clutch does engage when relay removed and terminals jumped.

D) Refrigerant pressures (when relay jumped) seem to be within margins for the high ambient temps (50psi/230psi+/-) however the air doesnt blow cold and the high/low lines are both warm/hot.

E) Jump low pressure switch - nothing happens.

F) I did notice dye sitting in the low pressure port (not sure if the previous owner was having other issues as well). No dye leaking from the condenser, evap, lines, fittings, etc. that I could tell.

Took it to shop yesterday and they called me to say it needed a new low and high pressure switches and the module. I said that I replaced the module, and did the tests on the switches and they only responded with "Oh...". I did also mention these items to them when I dropped it off for the diagnosis, so I am sure the service advisor did not mention it to the service technician. However, I agreed to let them keep it overnight and to get back with me, hopefully sometime today (8/2/22).

OP
OP
djfell80

djfell80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious...why would the pressures be close to accurate if this may be the cause? Thanks!

OP
OP
djfell80

djfell80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update: shop said they wanted to change high and low switches for $400. I laughed and said no thanks. Brought truck home. Put my gauges back on it, sprayed the condenser with water while running the AC on high (had thought about making sure wasn’t shutting down to too hot a condenser. It was nearly 101 outside today). Compressor stayed on and started cooling like it should. Cleaned off condenser coils.

Now idling it stays cool, but now it blows coolish on the highway and cools more when slowing down. Going to continue to try different things. Will double check charge tomorrow.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe the key here is the sign of dye. I believe it could be overcharged. Previous owner may have just used a quick tap can from parts store. Take it to a trusted shop. Evacuate and pull a vacuum and make sure is left on vacuum for an hour to get as much moisture as can out of system and then charge to correct amount for front and rear system. Still could have an intermittent blend door problem but need basics first and that is making sure has correct charge amount and maybe even change switches while system is empty.

OP
OP
djfell80

djfell80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe the key here is the sign of dye. I believe it could be overcharged. Previous owner may have just used a quick tap can from parts store. Take it to a trusted shop. Evacuate and pull a vacuum and make sure is left on vacuum for an hour to get as much moisture as can out of system and then charge to correct amount for front and rear system. Still could have an intermittent blend door problem but need basics first and that is making sure has correct charge amount and maybe even change switches while system is empty.
Thank you for the reply. Still searching for issues. Will be recovering refrigerant myself and pulling vac. I was thinking maybe a mixture of the dye possibly clogging the orifice tube in-turn increasing high side psi causing compressor to disengage. Will be replacing high side switch when it arrives, along with the ambient sensor (just to make sure). I miss the days of simple AC design...

OP
OP
djfell80

djfell80

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

There are two designs/sizes of orifice for these rigs and I would replace yours when evacuated.

By the way, I hope you like your 05 Z71 as much as I do. I have a build thread if you start replacing items.
Thank you. My wife has wanted one for a long time, and when we finally brought it home, started having this issue. She hasnt wanted to drive it since, so trying to fix it so I can have my truck back :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If yours were mine, I would empty it out, evacuate it and start over. My old Montana was still sealed but the compressor is plumb wore out. Yours going cold and hot at differing times to me has always been a low refrigerant issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DP2024