AC Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The never ending saga of the Hoe. Not sure if this is the right forum: Just had a new compressor installed--I'm not sure if he replaced the filter or not--pulled a good vacuum, filled with oil and proper lbs of 134a. Blew cold for a few weeks, now it's been lukewarm. I've done the hvac reset 2-3 times with no luck. Idling or sitting at a light it gets really warm. Driving it gets cool--ish, never cold tho. Compressor stays on, no problems there, just blows warm. The metal ac line that should be really cold is only cool--ish too, never cold. Doesn't appear to have any leaks. Anyone have any ideas what to do, or what it might be? Thx for any input.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The never ending saga of the Hoe. Not sure if this is the right forum: Just had a new compressor installed--I'm not sure if he replaced the filter or not--pulled a good vacuum, filled with oil and proper lbs of 134a. Blew cold for a few weeks, now it's been lukewarm. I've done the hvac reset 2-3 times with no luck. Idling or sitting at a light it gets really warm. Driving it gets cool--ish, never cold tho. Compressor stays on, no problems there, just blows warm. The metal ac line that should be really cold is only cool--ish too, never cold. Doesn't appear to have any leaks. Anyone have any ideas what to do, or what it might be? Thx for any input.

Start with blowing out/ cleaning all the fins on the condensor. Just like you would on the AC outside your house. If it's not leaking and the charge is right, it sounds like it can't export heat properly.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Start with blowing out/ cleaning all the fins on the condensor. Just like you would on the AC outside your house. If it's not leaking and the charge is right, it sounds like it can't export heat properly.
I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I'll give it a shot. Can't hurt.

Rule #1 is that there's no such thing as making cold. Only removing heat. The heat needs somewhere to go and a means to get there. On your AC, that's through the condensing coil/fins into the air.

The fact that it gets colder when you're driving points at an air flow problem in my experience. Especially with other new components and a new charge. I see it on my equipment in dirty shops all the time. The condensor gets caked in grime or dust that acts as an insulator and keeps the heat in the coil.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A long shot..... Is the AC tensioner pulley working correctly, i.e. correct and full spring tension on the belt to keep the compressor turning at the full rpm created by the engine's rpm?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
A long shot..... Is the AC tensioner pulley working correctly, i.e. correct and full spring tension on the belt to keep the compressor turning at the full rpm created by the engine's rpm?
Pretty sure, looks guttentight.
Also got to thinking.... are you sure your fans are working right?
Still has a clutch fan. Motor never runs hot either.

live2pull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed to this. My compressor is on its way out, but I exhibit symptoms almost identical to this also. My air becomes very comfortable once the truck is moving. Have not had a chance to clean the condenser. Tony, please keep updated with results. I also have a clutched fan.

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Subscribed to this. My compressor is on its way out, but I exhibit symptoms almost identical to this also. My air becomes very comfortable once the truck is moving. Have not had a chance to clean the condenser. Tony, please keep updated with results. I also have a clutched fan.
Absolutely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts