AC issues wont blow cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01pewterz28

Reaction score
Ok have a question my 2018 Yukon XL SLT has been having issues with the AC over the past 2 years.

The AC stopped blowing cold air I took it on see list below.

-7/28/22

AC Compressor internal fault.

- AC Compressor kit

- Seal

-Seal

- Refrigerant

-AC compressor

This fix lasted approx. 2 weeks.

-9/6/22 back for the same issue

-Temperature valve Actuator Assemble (22808876)

-Hose

-Seal

-Refrigerant

Removed dash to find high compressor line leaking proceeded to Evac system and replace compressor line charge system.

All was good for a few months.

11/16/22

Evaporator core leaking

-Evaporator core replaced

-Seal

-Seal

-Refrigerant

3/3/23 Vehicle back in for same issue AC stopped blowing cold Air (I am looking for my paperwork to see what was replaced) but they did have my vehicle for

-Dash removed

Removed dash to find high compressor line leaking proceeded to Evac system and replace compressor line charge system.

Told to get vehicle it’s all fixed only to be told mechanic had issues getting dash back in and bent the line again and it had to be replaced took an addition 2 days.
Drove off AC was super cold no issues.

Fast forward to end of April 2024

AC will not blow cold air at idle when driving AC will blow cool air but NOT cold air.

Took the Yukon in refrigerant low, filled it back up put dye in the system they did not see any leaks. I was given the vehicle back to drive and see how it goes vehicle not cooling again (lasted a day) I have a feeling the leak is in the dash it will be going back in 6/10/24 for them to figure it out and see what is going on.

All the previous repairs were covered under my extended warranty between parts, labor, and rental cars total cost for 60+ days was just over $13k (none out of my pocket). The dealership is treating this as a parts warranty for failed parts as they did not last 12 months.

Just trying to get some ideas on what you all think.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yuck, your shop needs to listen to "DAVE'S auto center" 3 Cs on YouTube! I'm stuck on that guy's videos Seems like a bad case of parts darts to me. Throw parts at it and see what sticks / fixes it. I'd never go to that shop again!

They need to CONFIRM exactly where the leak is coming from before they throw parts at it. The quick fix is to put contrast in the refrigerant and fix one item at a time if multiple failures but not to cheap for you...

I charge mine with cheap refrigerant (a shop won't do this) such as dust off. Then search for the leak. You could even just pump it up with dry & filtered air. Then spray all the lines with dish soap. There's a zillion ways to do it but seems they aren't fully diagnosing the issue.

You're welcome to PM me if you want to do some self diagnosis. AC is actually very simple but they make it seem elusive and charge boatloads to fix it.

OP
OP

01pewterz28

Reaction score
Thanks all back at the dealership lets see what they find. I dropped it off a few weeks ago they recharged it and added dye to the system kept it for 2 days could not find a leak (I believe the leak is in the dash area because they removed the dash several times and the one time they put the dash back in damaged the line and w/in 2 weeks I was out of refrigerant. They told me to drive it around see how it goes still the same issue but I had to wait a few weeks to bring it back I was on vacation so it's sitting at the dealership now.

OP
OP

01pewterz28

Reaction score
Update the dealership said the rear AC Evaporator core is leaking as well as the Low side compressor hose. I am waiting on a price for these items installed.

OP
OP

01pewterz28

Reaction score
Seems odd that the AC evap core needs to be replaced will the rear ac affect the front AC from blowing cold air. The rear is working and blowing cold in the 2nd and 3rd row it's just the front. I am getting a feeling the dealership is throwing guesses at this point IMHO.

Toy Tow Denali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My issue was the condenser. It’s a known issue.
My issue on a 2015 Denali was condenser. Now have a 2021 that won’t blow cold air and is probably the condenser. Bummer is the car only has 36k miles…
If another company had anything like the Yukon, i would dump GM…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markmartinez8