AC Heat Actuator Blend Doors, 05 Tahoe, SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rolexus

Reaction score
Hi All, brand new to this forum and need some help. Recently on a long (hot!) road trip, drivers side started blowing hot air when AC was on. YouTube research said Actuator door needs replacing on 05 Tahoe. Questions:

1. Understand there are 2 - one for drivers side and one for passenger side air control. So - is drivers side located in mid-upper area behind dash (difficult to get at) and passenger side control is above gas pedal, behind shroud?

2. If I replace both Actuator Blend Doors, are they the same part?

Any help would be wonderful! Thanks, Dwayne (Surrey, BC, Canada)

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Gonna watch this for info for my 05. Gonna go look at the parts too.

I found 4 options and they all list front and either left or right but all the options confuse me. Might be best to post the last 8 digits of your VIN number and hopefully @915_Tahoe will see and he can help you. I looked up at RA and only would use the genuine GM parts listed.

If you go to this place, https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/, you can type in the entire VIN and look up parts only for your rig and will be GM numbers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Thanks PNW VietVet! I’m really at a loss to find if the 2 parts (L and R) are different , or identical. Hope someone can answer. Another thing I found, it’s best to go with OEM, or second choice - Dorman. All others could be a waste of time and money.
Good luck!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do not, I repeat, do not use Dorman. Lots of threads about bad Dorman parts, especially anything electrical. See my edit of my other post for more info about this. The 4 GM actuators I see for the rig at RA is confusing, IMO.

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Recently on a long (hot!) road trip, drivers side started blowing hot air when AC was on. YouTube research said Actuator door needs replacing on 05 Tahoe.
Alternative theory and questions
When the system gets low, the drivers side loses cooling before the passenger side.
What were the telltales from watching YouTube that caused you to condemn the blend door actuator?
Was this a gradual change, or lost cooling suddenly?
Does the passenger side cool, but not as well as it used to?
Does the driver side still have limited temperature control? Instead of cool warm hot, does it have warm, hot, and melt your face off?

OP
OP
Rolexus

Rolexus

Reaction score
Thanks ks03, I’ll try to answer here:
1. I was alone and driving at highway speeds. The temp change from selected AC temp @ ~72 jumped suddenly to HOT on drivers side, with hot air now blowing at feet and chest level vents.
2. I am unsure of the temp on passenger side at the time.
3. When I stopped for gas, all returned to normal, for a couple of hours, then repeated - cool to hot
4. Once the temp jumped to hot, it stayed there, with no response from dial setting knob - temp control.
5.during the height of discomfort, I found I could set back of Tahoe to blow cold with fan turned up. I could also turn ceiling vents forward. AND, I could set the front DEFROST to cold, and turn the temp to max COLD - which made the trip bearable.

The tell tale sign seems to be the sudden jump from cold to hot, and the fact I couldn’t change the temp back to cold - it would just stay in “melt your face off” hot setting...lol

Does that help?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
1. I was alone and driving at highway speeds. The temp change from selected AC temp @ ~72 jumped suddenly to HOT on drivers side, with hot air now blowing at feet and chest level vents.
3. When I stopped for gas, all returned to normal, for a couple of hours, then repeated - cool to hot
4. Once the temp jumped to hot, it stayed there, with no response from dial setting knob - temp control.
5.during the height of discomfort, I found I could set back of Tahoe to blow cold with fan turned up. I could also turn ceiling vents forward. AND, I could set the front DEFROST to cold, and turn the temp to max COLD - which made the trip bearable.

The tell tale sign seems to be the sudden jump from cold to hot, and the fact I couldn’t change the temp back to cold - it would just stay in “melt your face off” hot setting...lol

Does that help?
Referencing #1. When you say, "The temp change from selected AC temp @ ~72 jumped suddenly to HOT on drivers side", are you saying the set temp for the a/c remained the same and blew hot air or are you saying the temp setting also changed to a hot temp reading as well as the air coming out was hot? Clear as mud?

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Does that help?

My 2004 has done this exact same thing randomly 5 or 6 times since I bought it back in October of 2020. Drivers side only will suddenly get hot. Not hot like hot outside air, but actual heater air hot.....friggen super hot. If I run my hand over to the passenger side it's still ice cold coming out.

I haven't researched how to fix it yet, because if I shut the vehicle off for a couple min it returns to normal. I am afraid one day it's going to get stuck on hot.

I will be interested to see how this thread progresses. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt