AC compressor/ electric fans not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably mean no refrigerant in the air conditioning?

If you don't have any refrigerant in the air conditioning and therefore can't turn the air conditioning on, the fans of course won't start either.

Otherwise the fans are switched on, when a certain motor temperature is exceeded.

Of course, if your thermostat is stuck open and you never reach that engine temperature, the fans wouldn't turn on.

I would perhaps repair the instrument cluster first, to see what kind of data is being displayed.

Because it is also important to see oil pressure, charging voltage and cooling water temperature.

As military people always say, the most important thing is the overview of the situation.

Or you can measure the engine temperature differently, e.g. with an infrared thermometer.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use a basic OBD scan tool to read the engine coolant temperature. A more advanced bi-directional scanner will allow you to command the fans on and off, and at various configurations. I'm not sure what coolant temp it takes to turn the fans on, but I think it's well over 200°F. Someone else may chime in with that info.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low speed ect turn on temp is 226* and high speed at 235* from the factory. Quite high. If you have no freon, then it won't hit the pressures required when the AC is on as already mentioned to activate, so you're relying on ECT.

dustynuts

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey sorry for the late reply. I did a series of things on the caddilac today. I replaced the thermostat, as well as the coolant temperature sensor. I also opened up the harness from the temperature switch to the ecu and from the ecu to the relay box. I noticed some rats got to them but did not damage the wires that were for cooling fan "system." They did damage cables that belonged to the srs system, so those were fixed as well. I also cleaned off the grounds that belonged to the cooling fan system, as well as the ground from battery to engine block. I retaped the harness back, added coolant and tested to see if the fans turned on (they did). So something I did fixed the issue. There is still no refrigerant In the system, as well as the cluster gauges not working. Thank you guys for your help, and hope this helps someone reading this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbaker84