AC blowing warm at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dubfreaks

Reaction score
A.C. getting warm at idle as well as my fan getting much louder when reving and driving..

would a fan clutch still be my solution for the warm a.c. at idle even though I don't hear the fan getting loud at all times but only when the a.c. is running for a while at idle?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your A/C is blowing cold driving down the down and then starts blowing hot while sitting in traffic at a red light or parked idling, then you are correct with suspecting a faulty fan clutch. The fan clutch would be worn out and not sucking enough air through the condenser OR (if you drive off road or dirt roads a lot) your condenser could be restricted to the point only enough air can move through the condenser when the vehicle is moving.
You can always put a fan in front of your vehicle pointed towards the condenser and check for cooling inside the vehicle to test it.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same issue and the fan clutch solved it. One way to test if the fan clutch is any good is to roll up a magazine and try to stop the fan with the magazine. If the magazine turns to confetti, I would look elsewhere for the issue (+1 to a blocked condensor). If the magazine stops the fan, go buy yourself another clutch. It's a fairly easy swap.

OP
OP
dubfreaks

dubfreaks

Reaction score
Leaving toward fan clutch, I don't think the fan would get louder if the condenser was clogged.. am I wrong?

OP
OP
dubfreaks

dubfreaks

Reaction score
So I replaced the fan clutch and it solved the war air issue but now my fan is noticeably loud at acceleration. It is 95° out today but should it really be this loud with a new fan clutch?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I replaced the fan clutch and it solved the war air issue but now my fan is noticeably loud at acceleration. It is 95° out today but should it really be this loud with a new fan clutch?

Its because you got used to the fan not being as loud as the clutch slowly wore out. There's also the upgraded fan clutch for those who tow more and work the engine harder which is also working the fan clutch more which in turn is louder.

In a scenario like this the fan clutch is almost always the culprit but I was just trying to inform you that that's not ALWAYS the case.

Glad you got fixed!

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leaving toward fan clutch, I don't think the fan would get louder if the condenser was clogged.. am I wrong?

Depends on how long it takes the clutch to warm up enough to engage. Also when the clutch engages you will hear a noticeably louder fan.

OP
OP
dubfreaks

dubfreaks

Reaction score
Its because you got used to the fan not being as loud as the clutch slowly wore out. There's also the upgraded fan clutch for those who tow more and work the engine harder which is also working the fan clutch more which in turn is louder.

In a scenario like this the fan clutch is almost always the culprit but I was just trying to inform you that that's not ALWAYS the case.

Glad you got fixed!
Thanks.. I got so use to hearing the sound of my flowmaster, now it's all fan. [emoji20] but thank you for the info.

OP
OP
dubfreaks

dubfreaks

Reaction score
Well, as I posted yesterday, air stays cool but now after sitting idle for about an hour with the air on, this is where my temp gauge is... took off, drove for about 3 mins and it went back to 210° any suggestions? 3ef40c3173fbaba1e192d80605704fc3.jpg

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as I posted yesterday, air stays cool but now after sitting idle for about an hour with the air on, this is where my temp gauge is... took off, drove for about 3 mins and it went back to 210° any suggestions? 3ef40c3173fbaba1e192d80605704fc3.jpg

There's a reason people convert to electric fans. The clutch fan can only move so much air at idle. If u add in the heat from the condenser and high ambient Temps u get this condition. It wouldn't hurt to take a look at your water pump. May be time to replace it and the thermostat. Once Temps start climbing like this your ac will stop working as the condenser heats up and a dominoe effect starts. I learned the hard way from idling my truck for long periods with the clutch fan and ac running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barakawins