ABS issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright so the last few days, whenever i turn my ABS kicks on, regardless of me touching the brake pedal or gas pedal. Just got new front hubs about 6 months ago so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I pulled the fuse to make it safe but I would like to have ABS (I dont really care about it but my girlfriend does...)

any idears?

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely you front wheel bearing is bad, replace both front hubs and save yourself the hassle, they come with new sensors.

If you wanna check, jack up the front end to get the weight off the tire. Move the tire left and right as if you were turning it manually and push up and down on the sidewall with your hands when you are in front of the tire looking at it. . Check both sides. You should have no movement.
If you have movement then most likely the bearing is bad. Like I said, replace both hub assemblies if needed, they come with new ABS sensors.

Here is the How TO

Note: After you get the 3 bolts out from the spindle you may need to beat the shit out of the hub with sledge hammer to get the bearings to separate from the knuckle.

Second Note: The best way to disable the ABS is just to unplug the module, not pulling the fuse. That way you have absolutely no ABS engagement and no ABS light on the dash. Currently mine is disconnected because I hate the ABS on these trucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said,I just replaced these hubs, they are fine and I've already checked for play in them. That's why I'm a little confused. I'm thinking the toner rings inside are fouled out...

ChiTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toners being fouled is very common on GMs I'd try that, sorry you didn't post that you had replaced the hubs. It is possible on of the sensors went out, it's pretty common. Whose hubs did you install?

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allright so the last few days, whenever i turn my ABS kicks on, regardless of me touching the brake pedal or gas pedal. Just got new front hubs about 6 months ago so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I pulled the fuse to make it safe but I would like to have ABS (I dont really care about it but my girlfriend does...)

any idears?

Indeed I did :)

anyways, another question: In my disabling of the ABS system, am I causing anymore issues? i.e.- is it safe? (like with braking pressure, etc...) because I did notice a slightly different pedal feel...

oh and the hubs are the acdelco bearings brand (yeah i know... not GM....)

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Seeing as how GM is the parent company of ACDelco and that is what the dealers and factory use for parts in there vehicle :imo: they are gm parts.

You should not experience a difference in feel in pedal when power is removed unless a solenoid coil is malfunctioning in which case if the solenoid is not physically jamming is should be normal operation of brake when power is removed. Can you describe the feeling with more detail?

OP
OP
B

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Surely, When i press the pedal the first time in the morning or after an extended period of time, the brakes are pretty sensetive (it feels like a hydroboost system) and after that they are just more senesitve than if I had the ABS fuse in. I've tried testing it, and they feel spongier when i have the fuse in. Really weird right? I'm stumped:confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts