A Quick BATT DRIAN FIX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sinse I have a dual alt set up the stereo batt under the hood drains over night I'm thinking the radio is doing it so what did took the wire running back to the amps off the fuse checked
Voltage on the batt 12.30 then this morning checked the batt 12.13 with over night freezing

Temperatures one of my amps or all 3 of them is draining the batt too quickly so I will put
The stinger 200 solenoid inline to cut the power to the amps only then energize it when I turn
The radio on. Hopefully I don't have a turn on pop.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Upur saying since you have had dual alts it is draining battery overnight? 12.3 to 12.13 is not bad that is just the charge settling in. vehicle would still start. But if you must do a solenoid I would suggest a slight delay timer of a few seconds installed on the turn on sensing wire for the radio but not the amps and have the solenoid triggered by same wire that would go into the time so to speak. Basically when key is turn solenoid is closed and amps have power available. At the same time the timer circuit holds back power from the radio on trigger wire. Then when radio starts amps get turned on completely from amp trigger wire as usual. May really not be needed but would guarantee no sound spike at all. Still don't see 17/100th of a volt drop any issue at all.

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left out a lot of details of my system i only has a little time to post . i have 2 separate charging systems the 2 alt is charging 2 batts one under hood and 1 under the rear pass side there is a seloniod in the rear to disconnect the 2 batt when system is off ,i have a toggle switch to turn radio on & off the,visor monitors,dvd headrests(toggled), and the

amps is wired to the under hood batt . I disconnected the main amp wire at the fuse to see if the batt drains over night next day batt held at 12.4 so when put amp wire to fuse it had a bigger than normal spark even after the system was playing and turing it
off still had that spark when i took the wire off & on thinking amp or amps have a problem .

I took the rear seloniod off to put it under the hood to cut the power to the amps when
the system is off NOW when i put the amp wire back on the fuse no spark turned sytem
back on it no longer has a whinning sound .
I'm thinking it's the rear batt BUT the seloniod has it disconnected from the system until it's turned on or is the seloniod bad internally ? i will wire every thing back to see what happens.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would imagine you might see a little spark but you should ask the amp maker on it power draw specs when the remote trigger is off. It might have capacitors on the input power but before it's own internal relay or what not turns on the whole thing. Also possible that the capacitor bank has a power bleeding circuit too. If you have any doubts about a solenoid just replace it. Don't think you can open them up and inspect the contacts. Could always ohms test I suppose.

Last edited:
OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the battery under the hood isn't draining now sinse I took the seloniod out and the rear batt is not
Connected to any thing I will wire them back up to see if it starts it again then I can back track to find the culprit.

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well had to get a new starter batt today now no more dragging starter.
FOUND that my roof mount monitor is what was draining the batt even that it's off I quests I'll be putting a
Toggle switch on it.

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've had this 20" for 3 yrs now it will get a toggle.

OP
OP
qukon 95

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is to small I'm going to use a house 200 amp main breaker. Lol. This didn't show up last summer
Because the truck was driven everyday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zucchini