A leak on the parking brake passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the fill hole in the cover being higher then the axle tube id think there some fluid in the tubes at all times. even once the diff is spinning and washing fluid around the ring gear.

Saw a small amount of fluid in the axle tube when we replaced a seal before. As the diff spins, the fluid expands and more gear oil makes its way into the tubes.

OP
OP
watuzi

watuzi

Reaction score
HELP! I messed up big time.

I was getting very frustrated with removing the c-clips. I don't know how you guys did it, but I was struggling for hours. I spun the passenger side axle a little bit, thinking it would help. But the two spiders gears got REMOVED from the differential. How do I put back the two ring gears? I need help ASAP guys, thanks.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HELP! I messed up big time.

I was getting very frustrated with removing the c-clips. I don't know how you guys did it, but I was struggling for hours. I spun the passenger side axle a little bit, thinking it would help. But the two spiders gears got REMOVED from the differential. How do I put back the two ring gears? I need help ASAP guys, thanks.
PMd my number call me

CountryBoy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was getting very frustrated with removing the c-clips. I don't know how you guys did it, but I was struggling for hours.
I can't help with the spider gears but I'll respond to this for future information of others. It's likely the seals have a groove worn in the axle. The seal pulls the axle back into place. You have to forcefully push the axle in and hold it. I used a ratchet strap hooked on something (trailing arm maybe?) To pull and hold the axle in. And just to give you an idea of how hard the seals can hold it, after removing the c-clips I tried everything to get the axle out. I was sure I had missed a step and was going to damage something. Finally I said screw it (didn't care if I damaged anything), I grabbed the hub with both hands, put both feet on the axle assembly wherever I could get a perch and I pulled with all my might... and wiggled a little. It popped free and I nearly popped some teeth out with wheel studs.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spider gears on the center pin can fall out while fidgeting with getting the axle c clips out. They need to be clocked exactly across from each other and rotated back into place and lined up to re-insert the center pin.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help with the spider gears but I'll respond to this for future information of others. It's likely the seals have a groove worn in the axle. The seal pulls the axle back into place. You have to forcefully push the axle in and hold it. I used a ratchet strap hooked on something (trailing arm maybe?) To pull and hold the axle in. And just to give you an idea of how hard the seals can hold it, after removing the c-clips I tried everything to get the axle out. I was sure I had missed a step and was going to damage something. Finally I said screw it (didn't care if I damaged anything), I grabbed the hub with both hands, put both feet on the axle assembly wherever I could get a perch and I pulled with all my might... and wiggled a little. It popped free and I nearly popped some teeth out with wheel studs.
Did the new seal you installed work ok with the grooved axle shaft?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel for you man. I moved my center chunk too much before removing the pin and spent hours trying to get everything lined up again right so the c-clips would come out and then go back in. We also had to push and pull on the axles to get the clips in and out. Thirteen hours my daughter and I were under there learning the hard way.

OP
OP
watuzi

watuzi

Reaction score

This Youtube video helped a lot, I wish it had better lighting though when the technician showed how to put in the spider gears. I suggest watching the video first. You can't put BOTH spider gears at the same time because the other two bigger gears spin in opposite direction.

Basically, here is what I did. The first one is super easy to put in. You should put that first spider gear on the top. Once you have one spider gear aligned up with the hole, move it forward almost to the point that it will drop, but not quite yet. While holding the top gear to prevent it from falling, put the second gear on the bottom, move it forward, which will make the top gear move back. You know you got it when the all the holes line up. You will have to experiment and fiddle with it for sure. It's really hard to explain, but the youtube video explains it a lot better than I even can.

But I still can't get the goddamn c-clips off!:biggun: I give up, I'm bringing some help.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You probably need like a 1/4 mm more space to get the c-clips out right? Have someone push in on the axle with all their might, maybe even use a prybar dug into the ground or something for leverage. You just need to move it a hair to get the clip out.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This Youtube video helped a lot, I wish it had better lighting though when the technician showed how to put in the spider gears. I suggest watching the video first. You can't put BOTH spider gears at the same time because the other two bigger gears spin in opposite direction.

Basically, here is what I did. The first one is super easy to put in. You should put that first spider gear on the top. Once you have one spider gear aligned up with the hole, move it forward almost to the point that it will drop, but not quite yet. While holding the top gear to prevent it from falling, put the second gear on the bottom, move it forward, which will make the top gear move back. You know you got it when the all the holes line up. You will have to experiment and fiddle with it for sure. It's really hard to explain, but the youtube video explains it a lot better than I even can.

But I still can't get the goddamn c-clips off!:biggun: I give up, I'm bringing some help.
The real world is under a truck on your back in the driveway. He is spinning both axles to line the gears up. You can have a helper just spin one side and the gears will counter rotate into place. Really sucks this is giving you such a hard time. Maybe your parking brake shoes are in the way not givin you enough clearance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Friendy