A/C sounds like its going to explode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had this problem for a long time now. It used to blow freezing air, but now its hot like hell.
It stopped working, and I mean it just stopped moving so we didnt use it anymore. One day I got the idea to add the freezer stuff they sell at autozone. And it went back to sounding like it did before and no cold air. Any ideas?

Have a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgY_ZOiRSHg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
It's low on freon.

If you put freon in it and it went back to sounding like that then you have a leak in the a/c system.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It could be that on of the pistons inside or its linkage or its valving is coming loose making the racket. I have not heard on of those r4 compressors run in about 3 years so I forgot what they sound like I think. I am concerned about its cycling rate tho. Can't say for sure with out a gauge set on it but you still may not have enough refrigerant in it. It could also be that the metering device is partially plugged and when engaged it build up pressure quickly enough that it is un-clutching quickly then and the clog lets the pressure leak down a bit at a time it kicks back in. A metering device is supposed to create a restriction in the system for the refrigerant to do its job but maybe the system is restricted more then it should be. It could be that it is also low on refrigerant as well. How do the various lines look and feel one then unit is off, then turned on initially and after running about 2 minutes. Best I can do with out pressure reading in a video or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yukonaetahoe

yukonaetahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I will go ahead and add another bottle of freeon. Make that my first step.
Then ill check for leaks....which I still have to find out how to do lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz