A/C smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Well about a month and a half ago I noticed my A/C air didn't smell so fresh anymore, especially for the first two minutes of use. Well I am well aware that the evaporator core probably needs clceaning as that is the main source of nasty A/C smells most of the time.
Also as many may not know, running the A/C on recirculation speeds up the mold and dirt buildup in the core substantially. So if your one of those (like me) then your A/C probably will smell bad real quick. I mainly use it because its colder and to avoid outside smell, but I guess I have to stop now.:emotions122:
My first idea was to do the mod JK had a write-up on, but I don't even know where the Evaporator is so that won't work.
Long story short, I ordered a can of 1Z Klima Cleaner Evaporator Core cleaner from Auto Geek, which sprays in the center A/C vents, foams up, and then clans the evaporator, then followed by a drain from your drain tube. It has nothing but positive reviews so I will try it and give the update when it gets here.
Also other ways to avoid alot of future cleaning is to run the A/C on non-recirc mode most of the time and only recirc mode when you need it (outside smells bad). If you do run recirculation, change it back to normal mode aroun 2 minutes before you get to your deestination, this will stop the excess moisutre build-up that can cause the odor.

While I wait, does anyone know where the evaporator drain is on the 07, or atleast the 00-06 so I can check that location too and see if its the same place?

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Thanks man but I found an answer at the dealership by a deodrant being sprayed into the Evap core. The Kilma cleaner helped but didnt get rid of it completely.
Also the 07 up Tahoes/Yukons don't have cabin air filters.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
Thanks man but I found an answer at the dealership by a deodrant being sprayed into the Evap core. The Kilma cleaner helped but didnt get rid of it completely.
Also the 07 up Tahoes/Yukons don't have cabin air filters.

03 up dont have cabin air filters.

ammar456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air circulation is a big factor here. used to have the same issue until i let the recirc off, and the smell sort of disappeared on its own

OP
OP
Modded

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah I don't use Air recirulation anymore as I want to avoid that again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali