A/C Gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A/C was working ok and Compressor Pulley bearing started growling and sparking. I replaced the compressor, pumped the system down. No leaks and charged system. Now Im getting around 40psi on low side and it works it way toward zero when compressor is engaged. The high side eventually gets up to 500psi and the blow off valve on the compressor expels some refrigerant. Low side line cold, High side not very warm. Hot air out the vents. Anyone seen such a mess? I was thinking hot/cold mix actuator is stuck to the heat side but I cant imagine that lack of heat exchange at the evaporator would cause the pressure to get to 500psi! Surely my expansion valve didnt mysteriously decide to just die during a compressor swapout and stick closed?
System is CJ2 RPO with auto and front and rear ac/heat.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the Oriface/filter? That partially plugged from a compressor coming apart could lead to hi pressure, so could overservice. Maybe you could explain exactly what shortcuts you took or didn't take. A bad comressor I always backflush. Do you have service manual/ Alldata?

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the Oriface/filter? That partially plugged from a compressor coming apart could lead to hi pressure, so could overservice. Maybe you could explain exactly what shortcuts you took or didn't take. A bad comressor I always backflush. Do you have service manual/ Alldata?
Did not replace orifice. Compressor was an external failure. So it did not throw its guts up into the refrigerant system. I replaced compressor, added oil and pumped down. Let sit for 30mins and held vacuum. Charged and then got this mess.

OP
OP
rockola1971

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem ended up being a clogged up Orifice Tube. Likely the original so it had wear tear crap in it. It was plugging up and deadheading the compressor. I likely sucked a bunch of crap out of the drier while pumping down the first time. I had to replace the actuator for upper/lower vents also after it failed tech 2 cal. It had been making noise and sure enough had main gear in it stripped teeth. It recalibrated perfectly after install. System actually has never ran this cold, especially at idle.
Actuator cal WITHOUT Tech 2:
Shut power off on HVAC control.
Install actuator (NEVER INSTALL WIRING HARNESS TO ACTUATOR WITH HVAC ON!)
Plug harness in.
Turn vehicle on.
Watch actuator witness mark turn extreme CCW then CW.
DONE.
Turn HVAC power on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts