99 Tahoe Steering Box Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mike McCloskey
Reaction score
Just to follow up, I spoke to an ACDelco tech and he said that it sounded as if the gear was bad. If it were the pump, I would notice problems at lower rpm/speed which I don't.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You stated, "At very low speed, seems to work fine. Anything over about 10 mph, I notice that when I begin to turn the wheel, there is a momentary drag in the steering that goes away as I continue to turn."

After the momentary drag, when the steering responsiveness re-engages, does it do so abruptly or suddenly? So abruptly that you have to correct the steering in the opposite direction, so that the truck does not go too far to that side of the original steering wheel turn?

OP
OP
Mike McCloskey
Reaction score
Not too abruptly. Don't have to over correct. I said 10 mph but probably more like 20 mph. Just a little drag or stickiness. AC Delco tech mentioned that it maybe one or both of the (I think) input shaft seals may have been torn during the reman process.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not too abruptly. Don't have to over correct. I said 10 mph but probably more like 20 mph. Just a little drag or stickiness. AC Delco tech mentioned that it maybe one or both of the (I think) input shaft seals may have been torn during the reman process.

OK. There is a known issue with a steering enhancement feature that I had on my 97, and you also may have on your 99, that is supposed to boost the responsiveness of the steering wheel, particularly at the first movement in either direction. If this feature fails, like it did on my 97, you lose the initial responsiveness of the steering wheel, but when it finally does kick in, it kicks in hard, so hard that it wants to push you into the next lane.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He’s probably referring to the EVO system which is specific to the 97 and up power steering pumps. The sensor on the steering shaft (under the dash) is usually the culprit and, for me, felt like you hit a patch of ice when going around a moderate curve. The valve connection at the pump is also a pretty common leak point.

I put a Delco Professional reman gearbox in my 98 and yanked it out after a half mile test drive. It required constant correction to maintain on-center steering. Ridiculous.

Redhead and Bluetop are mom and pop type rebuild companies and tend to get good reviews. I’d go with one of those before Cardone. I’ve had good experiences with both.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s probably referring to the EVO system which is specific to the 97 and up power steering pumps. The sensor on the steering shaft (under the dash) is usually the culprit and, for me, felt like you hit a patch of ice when going around a moderate curve. The valve connection at the pump is also a pretty common leak point.

I put a Delco Professional reman gearbox in my 98 and yanked it out after a half mile test drive. It required constant correction to maintain on-center steering. Ridiculous.

Redhead and Bluetop are mom and pop type rebuild companies and tend to get good reviews. I’d go with one of those before Cardone. I’ve had good experiences with both.

East302 is correct, in that I was referring to the EVO system. It was so unsuccessful, that GM fabricated and sold a bypass kit to remove it from impacting the steering system.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have also had problems with AC delco professional reman Boxes, Got one that was worse than one being replaced, Another that lasted less than 2 years. Funny how GM boxes were bulletproof up to about 92 model. Did they switch to Mexico manufacturing?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The "Professional" series is the low rung of quality when it comes to AC Delco parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf