98'H0e serviced engine help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

przfinest281

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats going on, I just recently got my 98 tahoe back from the mechanic.It kept die'n on me while running, and then eventually wouldn't start anymore. The mechanic replaced the crank sensor, spyder injector, distributor rotor along with Ac delco sparkplugs, wireset, oxygen sensors (bank 1,1 bank 2,1) and a fuel pump along with filter were replaced 5 months back. He said that my injectors were flooding the engine? When i recieved my vehicle from the shop it workd great started up asa the key turned. The engine light was off and recently came on. ( i reset'd it when changing out my o2 sensors). ive noticed more of a hesitation when crankin up. What else is needed for this tune up?? i just wanna have peace of mind....

9/4
this morning as i was on my way to work, when i cranked the car it wouldnt start. kept tryin to but never did. My mechanic says its my air silencer hittin the "coil" since its missing a screw that goes on top of the engine near the throttle body.

Any ideas on whats the issue??

9/5
car started up rather quickly this morning so i brought it to autozone to check the engine light. air sensor and air map sensor were probable cause. Later on in the day engine died on me while running.

9/6
my mechanic stopped by to take a look at the truck. He said that the catyltic converter was stocked up and causign the engine to overheat. so i brought it to mienke where they scanned the computer. Meinke tech. felt my converters were good and could possibly be something else causing the engine to turn off. Scanned it again with the computer and FIGURED out that my distributor is off by 8 degrees. IS THIS IT??

Someone please give me your 2cents and lemme hear your advice/tips/analysis.....

basically what im asking now is...

can a distributor thats retarded 8 degrees cause shut down of engine suddenly while running?? can it also cause the engine not to crank??

Thanks,
Lone tahoe

Last edited:

h0tr0d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man, you accidentally posted this in the 2007+ forum. Just copy the content of your post and post a new thread in the "general" section in the 1991-1999 section of the forums which is here:

http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

My vote is for cleaning the MAF....that guy last night really didn't know what he was talking about. The video I sent you, the guy used carb cleaner...I think brake cleaner is probably a better product to use as it will not leave a residue, but there is also a MAF specific cleaner if you want peace of mind. That dude last night saying the "pressure" from the can will overload the diodes is completely false...when your MAF is off of the truck there is no electricity hooked up to it therefor the diodes are doing absolutely nothing. You don't have to take my word for it, post it up in the correct section and let the other guys chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thydrick