96 Tahoe LT Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP said he did not want to change the transmission. I’m fairly sure the splines changed with the LS motors so he’d need a special torque converter or transmission work/swap. That’s the sole basis for my push against an LS swap in this particular case.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That and the problems that are sure to come up with the computer hook ups is enough to drive me to buy a different rig or do the engine swap of the 5.7.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That and the problems that are sure to come up with the computer hook ups is enough to drive me to buy a different rig or do the engine swap of the 5.7.
Is it more involved than a standard PCM 0411 swap?
I've always figured if i had to rebuild my motor its a by-god small block Chevy 350 w/Vortec heads and should be able to get plenty of power. With AT tires and 3.73's its not even fun over 85 mph anyway.

OP
OP
Barking-Iron

Barking-Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s feedback. Definitely need to put some more thought into this project I believe. I've found a Gen V L83 (complete) with a 6L80 from the same vehicle for $2,800 plus freight. Setup has approx. 34K miles on it. It appears it's going to cost me somewhere near $5K plus materials for install. Decisions decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645