'92-'95 vs '96-'99

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
i currently own both, lol i have my 96 hoe and i have an 88 silverado.

the tbi is a fun beat on it truck, for sure a stout engine. the only thing i have had to fix is the heater core and the thermostat. RUBBER FLOOR MATS FTW haha but i for use it as a beater truck.

now on the other hand my tahoe... nuff said haha runs like a beast. it just towed the shit out of my buddys 2500 silverado. if you want the full story just ask.

i love the power gains from my tahoe but the raw motor feel of my silverado. they foth have the goods and bads

OP
OP
I

ironman_jk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How about the transfer cases and transmissions in these two sets of years? Were any particularly weak or super durable?

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
i love the strength of my 88, if i am going down the road at like 45 and start sliding i can slam it into 4 high with out stopping.

but the 96 is also strong. but.... BUT i have gone through 4 of them... getting stuck in snow and having to use 4 (DAMN SNAP RING kept breaking.)

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
you can buy a tbi and put the vortec heads and intake on for the loss of 50 horse or whatever was in between the tbi and vortec..

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, the shop was not getting the updated snap ring for the output shaft and every time i would go to use 4wd it would snap off and internals would get ******. but it was all warrantied

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, the shop was not getting the updated snap ring for the output shaft and every time i would go to use 4wd it would snap off and internals would get ******. but it was all warrantied

Had to have my T-Case done with the updated snap ring too. My problem was that I'd drop out of reverse if I had to give it any juice to bump up over a curb or similar...

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
you can buy a tbi and put the vortec heads and intake on for the loss of 50 horse or whatever was in between the tbi and vortec..

Not quite, you still dont have the multi port fuel injection/ higher PSI pump and true factory dual exhaust. Which is no biggie to do( exhaust)

But i would like to know how much of a HP gain and SOTP gain one would get by adding VORTEC heads and a GMPP Vortec TBI intake on a 95' and below motor,

I'd like to try it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amada

Latest posts