85K maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PappaBear23

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I’m about to get married. We’re taking my Tahoe as our honeymoon getaway to FL but I want to get any and all maintenance done on it before we leave. So I was looking at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and it seems that I missed a few things along the way. I put the first 40k on my car in less than 2 years. But my question is:
What maintenance should I get done so we don’t break down on our way to or from FL?

So far my list includes:
- oil change
- tire rotation
- fuel filter
- change transmission fluid
- cabin air filter
- recharge and clean K&N air filter

Should I have the axel fluids changed? How about spark plugs? Thank you.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out if curiosity what year is your Tahoe?

Transmission Fluid should be changed out every 40-50K miles..For that I would take it to a 5 star Chevrolet-GMC dealer but that is just me.

Cabin Filter every 40K miles or before.

Air Filter every 40K miles or before.

I have not touched my Fuel Filter yet.

Oil change every 5K miles but before a trip I change it out if I put more then 3K miles on it. I use only 0W20. I use only Mobil 1 Truck and SUV Oil or the EP. Sometimes use AC Delco.

I drive back and forth from Miami-NYC several times a year and the 0W20 holds up extremely well. Yes even in constant Miami Beach jungle heat plus constant gridlock and idling to keep the a/c on.

I generally rotate the tires every other time but not always as I sometimes get vibrations after I rotate them and do not what to be bothered getting them rebalanced. I just assume replace them when they wear out..I only buy Michelin Defenders.

Axel Fluids I have not touched yet.

Spark Plugs still good so not touching them.

BTW have 138K miles on my Hoe and only run 87 octane. I only use Exxon-Mobil or Sunoco.

Have a good trip..BTW Georgia is loaded with Law Enforcement from one end to another on I-95. Not sure on the I-75 side.

All that is just me..To each their own.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @Miami-Dade said except the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump, unless your year is different and you did not supply vehicle info. I can only guess that your rig is a 2020, based off your comment about how long it took to put 40k miles on it but that is assuming you bought new. There is also two different engine options for a 2020.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the transmission fluid changed change the transaxle fluid too. If you are 4wd.
Differentials you don't, but I changed mine at 80k and the magnets were coated and the fluid was dark. That sounds normal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it were me and had not been keeping up on basic maintenance
then
all fluids flushed, including those already mentioned and brake fluid, coolant, rear diff, If 4wd then also front diff, transfer case.
there is no fuel filter and there is no power steering fluid
plugs & wires (generally 100k is fine but since you are already at 85k may as well get it done)
serpentine belt, ac belt, vacuum pump belt.
then get a flash light and jack it up and inspect everything under it calipers, seals, bushings, etc.
basic stuff, if you take care of your vehicle they tend to not break down as much.
know your vehicle and what it has and does not have. check for leaks, check that any hoses or wires are not sitting and rubbing on something, clean the battery terminals
inspect your brakes, inspect your tires.
just like they say happy wife happy life
happy car happy travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094