6L80E Rough Shift 1-2 and 2-1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
Get a subscription to AllDataDIY and use your Father-in-Laws scan tool hand in hand with the manual to trouble shoot the symptoms. Then consider buying a Tech-2 for the vehicle.

Funny you should mention it. My father in law has the virus edge by snap on, but my good friend has a tech2. I’ll have to check out AllDataDIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny you should mention it. My father in law has the virus edge by snap on, but my good friend has a tech2. I’ll have to check out AllDataDIY.

The Snap On costs many thousands of dollars and works across many platforms. The Tech-2 was made just for GM and subsidiaries (Saab for example) and is now a legacy product and can he had for about $350 and is the tool to work on these trucks with the shop manual. Mine has paid for itself many times over.

OP
OP
B

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
I was just browsing the other day for a tech2. Only worry is getting a genuine one instead of a knockoff, but even some reviews of the newer knockoffs are positive.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would like to know the result. My 2010 Tahoe shifts hard into 2nd, 3rd, and slightly noticeable into 4th. It it has gotten worse over the years where not I even feel slight vibration on a steering wheel. Gds2 bi-direction scantool shows no codes. Pulling TCM-Batt fuse did not help. Need to check engine mount.

OP
OP
B

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
Changing out the engine mount definitely helped. The trans shifted perfectly for a few days, but I am noticing a little hesitation once again in the 1-2 shift. He was also able to reset all historical codes that are deeper in the computer than an obd2 can read. My friend has a tech2 and just updated it, so hopefully we can get some good data when we dive into in a few weeks.

I’ll keep you posted.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I got tech2 and gds2 and no codes anywhere. Keep me posted

OP
OP
B

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
Did you completely reset the engine and trans relearns? My father in law mentioned lots of folks go for the granny as the issue when the motor mount and the learned stuff can be a cause, not necessarily the tranny.

OP
OP
B

BeauDuke45

Reaction score
Got an update on this one. The rough shifts are back. It’s almost as if the learning the transmission does brings back the rough shifts. Any way to disable the learning program of the tranny/engine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick update on the rough shift for my 2012 tahoe with a 6L80e.

If anyone needs the name of a good tuner in the Denver area, American Intense Racing was who i used and was referred too. Was able to get everything tuned up in about 2 hours. Just call ahead and schedule a session with him! Cost me about $325.
GREAT tip - I'm in Longmont and have been looking for a good tuner for my '07 XL Denali. Thank you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an update on this one. The rough shifts are back. It’s almost as if the learning the transmission does brings back the rough shifts. Any way to disable the learning program of the tranny/engine?

Beau, did you get a shop manual or a subscription to AllDataDIY?

You can do a Transmission Adaptive Pressure reset, erasing the memory and letting her learn all over again. The only times the adaptive function turns off that I'm aware of is when transmission related trouble codes are present.

Check your pressures and settings from the scan tool against what the shop manual says.