6 way seat horizontal lumbar is not working... motor only whirls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
My driver's side seat has a horizontal lumbar is not moving back and forth, but I can hear the motor engaging. What is the part - (cable or belt) that is likely broken inside the seat under the padding? I'm assuming that something must pull and push the two side lumbars together and apart when the motor is engaged. Thanks for any diagrams or assistance with this.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to repair it go ahead and remove the seat back cover so you can see exactly what’s happening. It could be as simple as a loose part. This way you’ll know exactly what to get. What type and year truck? 99?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I’d still remove the seat back cover so you can see what’s happening before spending any money on parts you may not need. Disconnect the battery if removing the seat.

OP
OP
lowpost99

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
I've seen videos on how to remove the seat covers, but they never showed the rear. How do you get under the foam or uninstall it ? How is it secured to the frame of the seat?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After you remove the seat and flip it over you’ll see the bolts holding the back to the bottom. In most cases you have to separate the 2 to see the Velcro or zipper or hog rings holding it together. Remove the headrest and sometimes the stops for the and pull the cover off leaving it inside out. Some vehicles can do this without removing the seat or separating the 2

OP
OP
lowpost99

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
After you remove the seat and flip it over you’ll see the bolts holding the back to the bottom. In most cases you have to separate the 2 to see the Velcro or zipper or hog rings holding it together. Remove the headrest and sometimes the stops for the and pull the cover off leaving it inside out. Some vehicles can do this without removing the seat or separating the 2
Are you describing the removal of the seat cover? I've got that down I feel. What I need help with is getting the foam off the upper seat back so I can see any belts or whatever pulls the horizontal lumbars pads back and forth on their motor. I assume the motor is a separate unit than the one for sliding the seat up, down, fwd, back. I think it would be mounted on a vertical frame part so it can pull and push those pads.

Last edited:

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry the foam is usually glued on. When you pull it off some of the foam will stick to the springs. If you remove the cover the pieces you want to see should be in plain sight. Here’s a diagram of the seat
upload_2019-6-3_10-53-23.png

OP
OP
lowpost99

lowpost99

Lowpost99
Reaction score
Thanks for that diagram! Sorry had a water leak in house to deal with... the seat that they are using here is not a 6 way power seat though... any other companies that you know might have these? That company's phones are not working.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu