6.2 not a good idea because of issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a nice Chevy High Country but I heard about issues with lifters and misfire.

So I'm wondering how reliable the 6.2 in particular is compared to the 5.3. I have a 2017 5.3 and never had any misfire or lifter issues. Thought that the V8s are a super reliable engine with millions of miles on it.

So what is the truth here? Shall I better not buy a 6.2 and opt for a 5.3? Shall I buy a Diesel instead?

I'm afraid of having the truck in the shop all the time and I'm unsure right now If I even should trade-in my 2017 Yukon for a new car that is known for issues. Or am I overthinking it?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding the same lifter are used in both engines I think diesels are pretty bullet proof.

decembersend

Reaction score
Yep same lifters are used in both. Personally if I were in the market I would do diesel for power, towing, fuel economy (once tune and deleted). But if you want to stick to gas go with the 6.2L and then either do a AFM/DOD hardware delete or buy a AFM/DOD disabler and prevent it from coming out of V8 mode.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.0 Dmax is the overall best choice for this vehicle if you are going to rack any miles at all. Mileage is at least 40% better and its smooth as butter.
Only downside.. they are rare as hens teeth...Good luck trying to find one...

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question Regarding this, I have a new 2022 Silverado ordered, was built today actually and is the 5.3 and they are taking off the DFM I assume to save chips. Isnt this a good thing? I thought about the diesel, but there’s limited builds on those and I woulda been waiting a while I think...

OP
OP
X

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the only diesel that I can find is a GMC Yukon SLT with 5k miles on it. Nicely equipped with Brake Controller, Sunroof, RSE, white leather, etc. However the price is heavy... $84K - I think that's roughly 14-15k over MSRP lol

Last edited:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the only diesel that I can find is a GMC Yukon SLT with 5k miles on it. Nicely equipped with Brake Controller, Sunroof, RSE, white leather, etc. However the price is heavy... $84K - I don't think I think that's roughly 14-15k over MSRP lol
Car gurus is showing 909 gassers and only 125 diesels. Definitely not very common overall haaaaaaa.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a brand new denali diesel with an msrp of 84k and its listed for 77k (although i find that hard to believe and probably not that true sale price).

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same lifters and issue with both motors. Last May we rented a 2021 Suburban to go cross country. The truck was being brought in from the airport rental store. As we stood in front awaiting here it came limping in. Yep brand new-- lifter went bad. We were packed and ready to go. Had to wait till 4 hours later when they found another. He told us they had two new ones both bad lifters at the dealer. So our trip was delayed one day, and we put 9000 miles on that truck. Beautiful ride, was flawless. BUT believe me I was concerned in some parts of the country!! We came home and bought the only 3.0 diesel we could find as the market went nuts! Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo