5.3 to 6.2 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Our06hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive searched and havent had any luck. Thinking about doing a 6.2 swap. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

OP
OP
Our06hoe

Our06hoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I went from a 4.8 to a 6.0, totally worth it Imo. Just make sure you get it tuned correctly.

Ill be adding a slightly bigger cam as well. Will the stock 5.3 trans hold up to the extra hp/tq?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ill be adding a slightly bigger cam as well. Will the stock 5.3 trans hold up to the extra hp/tq?
If you drive it like a sane person, the trans should be fine. I blew my trans in like 2-3 months! Mine is also cammed with long tubes and converter.

DeucesAllin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No.

But boring your stock block for 5.7L pistons, and reusing your stock rods and crank, is a killer way to get about 30 more cubes...and be right at the limits of your trans and rear end.

Pistons, bore, cam and tune will give a 6.2 a run for its money, for pennies.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is a gen IV block so there are some differences.
- You'd have to swap the crank to a 24x reluctor wheel instead of the 58x they come with or use some converter box.
- The knock sensors were relocated so you'd have to extend the harness and tap it out to fit your current sensors.
- Also, if there's AFM and VVT on the engine that would have to be deleted.
- a cam sensor extension
- the necessary tune to get any engine that's not stock to run right

It will physically bolt in just like the gen III engines we have. Unless your shooting for crazy levels of power, want an N/A monster, or like projects, your better bet is a 6.0 swap. You could boost it, 408 stroker it, or both and it would put down respectable amounts of power either war you chop it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeucesAllin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
... if there's AFM and VVT on the engine that would have to be deleted...

All 6.2s have AFM/DOD and or VET.

If your asking about the swap, it's probably not for you.

A 383 stroker, or 5.7 big bore 5.3 with a custom cam is your only real option for a motor that will run every day- unless you wanna drop your rig off with a 15k check and not see it again for a year.

Big stroke LS motors like to elongate the cylinder bores early on and kill ring seal.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk