5.3 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
super interested in doing the 5.3 swap in my 96 Tahoe. does anybody know where or how much would a wiring harness cost and where I could buy one? new to this idea. any advice could help.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
chaingun427 is working on one at this very moment and is almost done. hit him up in chat or pm him for his details. just in case i will page him to this thread. also i just posted the 2002 5.3 entire diam system a short while ago. 29 megs long. if you are interested. http://www.sunlitcomet.com/pdf/automotive/tahoe/gmt800/2002 chevy tahoe diagrams.pdf. have not made a manual yet to splice into an obs but chain may have something to help.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

you know i did see one someone was selling once but i think they wanted $900+. let me check one other place...

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

maybe this one: http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcat/60218 but they have a variety of wire sets including integrated ones so check the whole catalog and give them a ring as well for more info.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
You've got a couple options, one is to repin the original harness. By doing that you'll solder in the injector wiring (colors all match the wires inside the big plug. you'll also want to get the coil harness from the LS (hopefully all the way back to the PCM to save yourself about 2 hours worth of tracing wires and soldering) if you don't completely unloom it like I did you'll need to extend the TPS and IAC wiring, and repin the CKP and CMP sensors and combine the wiring from the IAT and MAF sensors into the LS style maf connector.

Another option is to use the entire LS harness, and connect the ground and power to the old fuse box, then you'll just need to move a few pins over from the old computer but you'll be left with a lot of extra wiring under the hood, not clean enough for my liking.

the third option is to buy a complete harness from someone like Painless harness's. That's probably the easiest but also the most expensive.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

I'm going to try to get in touch with Lextech from the GMT400 forums. He's the one that developed the swap pinout that I and a lot of others use. It would be nice to have him on here as these trucks age and more people get interested in a swap. I can't provide the diagram he gave me though at his request.

OP
OP
_bcstrout

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You've got a couple options, one is to repin the original harness. By doing that you'll solder in the injector wiring (colors all match the wires inside the big plug. you'll also want to get the coil harness from the LS (hopefully all the way back to the PCM to save yourself about 2 hours worth of tracing wires and soldering) if you don't completely unloom it like I did you'll need to extend the TPS and IAC wiring, and repin the CKP and CMP sensors and combine the wiring from the IAT and MAF sensors into the LS style maf connector.

Another option is to use the entire LS harness, and connect the ground and power to the old fuse box, then you'll just need to move a few pins over from the old computer but you'll be left with a lot of extra wiring under the hood, not clean enough for my liking.

the third option is to buy a complete harness from someone like Painless harness's. That's probably the easiest but also the most expensive.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

I'm going to try to get in touch with Lextech from the GMT400 forums. He's the one that developed the swap pinout that I and a lot of others use. It would be nice to have him on here as these trucks age and more people get interested in a swap. I can't provide the diagram he gave me though at his request.

How long does this project take? This is a daily driver so i dont really want it to take a long time to complete. The options you gave me the third sounds to be the most reliable. The money would just have to be saved up.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The painless harness are pretty nice, although a properly built factory harness can be just as reliable, but is more time consuming.

Physically pulling the old engine, exhaust to the mid flange, and such, and then physically installing the new engine should take about a day. Factor in another 2 to plumb everything, run electrical, fuel etc. Then however long at the exhaust shop, id have another vehicle to drive if I were you especially in case of issues.

Keep in mind the main reason for a 5.3 is that it's a better platform to build, if you're going to leave it stock and want a better fmdriving experience save the extra for a 6.0. Search for an 02 silverado on car-part.com to check prices at local yards and try to get the entire harness and pcm with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
_bcstrout

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am mostly doing this fuel fuel economy and ive heard that the 5.3 are a little more reliable. Not doing it to tune it to go fast or have crazy horsepower

OP
OP
_bcstrout

_bcstrout

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will most likely do some tuning but try to save as much as the gas milage as i can. Cause filling up once a week gets expensive. Driving to school everyday i can use quite a bit of gas. Any advice would help.

chaingun427

OBS Mad Scientist
Reaction score
For what you'd spend in a swap just to save gas, get a beater. That's1500 in a little 4cyl would be better spent than 2500+ for a swap that youde not see a return in mileage on for quite some time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reveita42

Latest posts