4x4 for dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I know what your thinking, why have a 4x4 if you don't know what you're doing? True, however everyone is a relative dummy when trying something new. So, I have a couple of questions that may be elementary to most but to me, and I'm sure a few others, very necessary to know more about our trucks. So here we go!
Question #1
How exactly do you operate 4x4? Do you engage it in neutral, in park, or while driving?
#2 how can you tell if 4wd is engaged?
#3 how do you know if your switches are working? Will they light up? When will they light up? In neutral? In park? At low speed?
#4 is there any other info that may help us 4wd newbs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
2wd to 4hi at any speed 4 lo to any mode our vice versa is done with tranny in neutral preferably with a slight vehicle movement while shifting t-case but not exactly required.iirc you have a push button control. what ever light is constantly on indicates current mode. when you select the new mode the selected mode light will flash until mode is completely locked in. as long as key is on a mode light should be on. if you have the auto 4wd option use autotrac 2 fluid in the t-case. dexron 3 in all others.

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so can I use dexron 3 in the tranny right? Just not in the transfer case. They don't share a fill location right? I know the older models don't, just don't know about the obs tahoes/ yuk obs. Also if the lights are working on the switch, does that mean that whatever it is switched to is for sure working?

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI sunlit I went outside and tried changing from one mode to another and it seemed to work exactly as you described, so that really makes me happy

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you have the auto 4wd go thru threw manual to learn to shift the "TCASE IN NEUTRAL''. BE WARNED THAT ONCE YOU DO ONLY THE SERVICE BRAKE OR PARKING BRAKE WILL KEEP THE VEHICLE FROM MOVING. the tranny in park will not hold it when the tcase is in neutral.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
tranny always get dexron 3 fluid. tcase fluid depends on the tcase model type if your push button switch has auto and neutral options then use autotrac2 blue fluid. if non auto push button or floor shift then use dexron 3. tcase is filled and draind at plugs on back side of the case.

and yes on the light question if then stay on without flashing.

OP
OP
DallasTahoe

DallasTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you sunlit I got it down now!